replacing jpg, bmp, gif, png icons

oDin

xp m0nk3y
just wondering if anyone knows what files contains the icons for these picture file types. i want to replace them but can't find the file that they are in.

thanks
oDin.

I was told that it is in the shell32.dll. I, too couldn't find it. Can someone tell us more specifically, which folder because there hundreds of folders in the dll.

yea...the are not in the shell32.dll file. i have already been though it a couple of times.

Look at your properties

If you have the default icons, right click on a file that you want to see the icon for, select properties. Select the icon tab. You'll see a path to the current icon.

On Win2000,

bmp is mspaint.exe,1
jpg is mshtml.dll,8
gif is mshtml.dll,9
png is peicons.exe,1

Your settings may be different. I use IconPackager from Stardock, but this is from the default Windows setting.

Re: Look at your properties

Originally posted by ironguy
If you have the default icons, right click on a file that you want to see the icon for, select properties. Select the icon tab. You'll see a path to the current icon.

On Win2000,

bmp is mspaint.exe,1
jpg is mshtml.dll,8
gif is mshtml.dll,9
png is peicons.exe,1

Your settings may be different. I use IconPackager from Stardock, but this is from the default Windows setting.

those files don't contain the icons in winXP.

in winxp the icons for .jpg, .bmp, .gif and .png files are stored in the file shimgvw.dll....just reshack it and you will find them...there is a catch though. both .gif and .png files both use the same icon. that file, shimgvw.dll, also contains one more icon. i am not sure what format it is for but, i think it is for .tiff files.

happy reshacking!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back