Replacing File Type Icons

Discussion in 'Desktop Customisation' started by E-kLiPsE, Mar 19, 2005.

1. E-kLiPsE

E-kLiPsE OSNN Junkie

My apologies, as I'm sure this topic has been discussed already, however I couldn't seem to find the info I was looking for, so I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm just starting to discover the wonderful world of modding. In the past I let StyleXP do all the work to change the visual style, etc, however now I'd like to customize a little further.

I've been reading through the forums and I think I'm going to do away with StyleXP and try using a modded uxtheme, however I'd like to know the best way to replace my icons - in particular all the filtype icons (.avi, .mp3, .doc, etc). I'm assuming this must be a dll file or something that needs to be edited with a resource hacker, but I'm not sure.

If you guys could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it a whole bunch!

Cheers!

2. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

If you haven't yet, check this thread for some good information.

This thread is good for DLL hacking info.

E-kLiPsE likes this.
  3. E-kLiPsE

E-kLiPsE OSNN Junkie

Thanks muz,

I guess I thought all the filetype icons were stored in one .dll or something... apparantly not. I'd already browsed through those threads, but after reviewing them and checking out some of the apps, I think I'll download and use Bee's Icons; it looks like it will be the quickest option. I was just looking to avoid paying for a 3rd party app.
    /me is a cheap bastage

Cheers!

4. muzikool

shell32.dll holds a good number of the system icons, and in that case I suggest looking for a "shell pack" such as Gant 2. I think I may have listed some shell packs in the GUI thread as well.

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

6. muzikool

Nice, NetRyder. Guess what thread is getting an update? ;)

7. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

;)

E-kLiPsE likes this.
  8. E-kLiPsE

E-kLiPsE OSNN Junkie

many thanks Brian... err NetRyder :) Rep points added.
    Freeware's great!!!