Replacement Mobo NB Fan

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Piett, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Piett

Piett ...will circle this city

hey guys, i've got a question that requires your input. the northbridge fan on my NF7-S crapped out a couple of days ago. so i am going to replace it, problem is that practically no-one has pure NB fans. so i was wondering if the thermaltake CrystalOrb would suffice? or if i could not be more wrong lol. thanks.

2. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

measure the fan. you should be able to pick up a fan of the same size at most electronics stores.

3. Piett

thanks for the reply dreamliner, but that wasn't really the question that i asked. are you saying that it won't fit on the board? also, would putting just a large heatsink on the board be insufficient? i'm not doing any overclocking at all, however the computer remains on all day. thanks.

4. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

I guess i'm not really sure what you are looking for then?

You're NB fan died, right? So you either need to replace it or get a nice large heatsink to go on there.

5. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

6. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Option 1 - check the abit web site, order a direct replacement at your leasure.

Option 2 - I Kludged a crystal orb fan in. The sink will probably be the wrong size so you end up with attachment problem. I took the fan out off the heatsink and used double sided thermal tape (left over from a ram cooler kit) to attach it to the old heat spreader. Watch your fingers. There will be no blade guard and and the blades break off (and cleave fingers) easily.

Option 3 - use SAZAARs 's passive cooler, or a convenient alternate. Most NF2 MB have a really puny passive cooler and still overclock fine. Mine does.

Warning. If you have to pull the old cooler off and its glued instead of screwed you risk pulling up the Northbridge.

7. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

8. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

9. Piett

thanks for that suggestion sazar, because i was also thinking about something like this . so now i know that i will go with that. thanks all, my mind is at ease :)

10. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

np...

I am also gonna move this thread to general hardware since you might get more hits there and more people might have suggestions :)

not really benchmarking related if you are not oc'ing :cool:

with a passive heatsink you dont have to worry about it failing :D

moved

11. Piett

sounds good to me. i think that my mindset at the time was "it's having to do with cooling" lol. i definatly think that i will go passive in this case. and if i choose to OC later, i'll get a fan back on it.

12. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

I use a a crystal orb on my RB for my giga-byte mobo, with the double sided thermal tape for some kit I got that I didn't use it on.