removing old file permissions on vista

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Dark Atheist, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

after installing vista and doing the usuall of removing old permissions (right click on drive - properties - security) and removing the old account and replacing it with new account, all seems to go well, but if you right click on any folder its still showing the old account name (s-1-xxx-xx etc) even though i have selected replace owner on all sub objects.

Because of this its denying me access to some folders - which i should have full rights, only way around this is to manually replace the permissions on each folder which thne filters down to the sub folders and objects inside.

This will take some time as i have a lot of folders over 3 drives, so can anyone suggest a solutions, and no, format, or reinstall xp, or use linux/mac/bsd, isnt what im after ;)

2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Are you selecting to replace permissions on child objects?

3. Dark Atheist

think i did - best go back and check - thought i selected all objects

edit: if by ticking - Replace all existing inheritable permissions on all decendants with inheritable permissions from this object

then now - as that isnt selected on any of the users in the list, should this be ticked for my name only ?

only other option i see which i have already ticked is - Replace owner on subcontainers and objects

4. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I don't have a Vista machine nearby to check.

5. Dark Atheist

well it seems if i manually add my name to the list, then it filters it down to the folders and files inside - so alll i have to do is the folders in the root of the drive, so it wont take long, only have a few left to do :)