removing "my computer" etc from start menu

Discussion in 'Desktop Customisation' started by apathy-, Feb 9, 2004.

1. apathy-

apathy- OSNN Junior Addict

i've seen alot of themes where the words My Computer, My Documents, My Network Places, Control Pannel, run, search, and the rest are not there anymore.

i was curious how this was done...

the links are still there, but the names are not...

ne one?
    :confused: :confused:

2. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I believe that the themes themselves make this happen. I know that I had one theme where the words were not there, and now I'm using one in which they are. Of course I imagine there is a way to tweak this in the registry as well, but I'd have to look around a bit to find out for sure.

3. apathy-

thanks

yeah it looked alot better like that imo

do you know what theme it was?
    maybe i could pick it appart and see how...
    or someone could simply tell me how :D

4. muzikool

Well first thing... are you able to load themes at the moment? In other words, do you have the software or made the necessary changes to install themes that you download? (UXTheme patch, WindowBlinds, StyleXP, etc.)

If so, then I'd browse through the "February Desktops" thread and find screenshots that have what you're looking for. Info on the theme name should be posted, and if not then you can PM the person and ask what theme they are using.

5. apathy-

yeah

i've ade numerous themes and wallpapers and such, i was just wonderin if there was a way to do it without applying a theme

i know you can remame "my computer" to " . " :p but um well there's still space there.

idk i've been lookin thru alot, and haven't found one yet
    i think there was one in the december bunch, but that's long gone isn't it?

6. muzikool

Yeah, the DB crash happened afterwards and so the December thread is gone. I figured there would be something in the Jan. or Feb. threads, but I guess there's not if you've looked.

I did check on a pretty expansive regedit site for a way to make the changes you want, but I didn't find anything useful. I'm running out of ideas now unfortunately, but maybe someone else will have more info.

7. apathy-

ooooo i found a theme that has it
    azure has it, but it's not on theme xp
    checking google as we speak

8. apathy-

yeah.....
    ne one ?... help?

9. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

I simply renamed my computer and my documents to " " if I enable drop shadows on text, the background disappears. I believe Norton Utilities allowed me to rename the trashcan to " "

10. apathy-

what about changing my network places, or control pannel

is there a way find the registry entries, or chnage system32.dll?

11. Fenris

Fenris OSNN Senior Addict

If ur running xp right click start button go to properties then customize button then hit the advanced tab. You can remove them from there. As for renaming ive never tried to do it.

12. apathy-

:-\

yeah... i've tried changing the system32.dll file, and well that didn't go too well, ended up formating

idk... maybe when i have more time i'll try it again, until then, feel free to say if there's an easier way ^_^

13. Beginning

Beginning I'm Beginning Somehow...

To rename recycle bin just apply this .reg file... :) I've used it for years..

renamerecyle.reg

Note...
    This is only for WinXP ...... Not w2k or 98... :)

PS - You know how it is one computer is so different then the next.... You do have to run this with consideration.. :) Like I said it works flawlessly on my computer... I've reformated dozens of times and each time ran this .reg to rename recyle bin... It's works perfect!! :)

14. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

15. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

Indeed a nice utility. I use it all the time also :)