Removing IE6 from Win XP

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Tris, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Tris

Tris Guest

Does anyone know how to remove IE6 from Win XP? Its build in, and I need to reinstall a fresh copy .......any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

You can't do it, so don't try. If you hadn't noticed, explorer.exe is similar to iexplore.exe.

3. madmatt

Just reinstall IE from the XP CD-ROM. Doing this will repair any problem files there might be.

4. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

Madmatt is correct that option is not available yet.

:cool:

5. allan

allan Guest

To Reinstall IE6:

1) Insert the Win XP CD

2) Open Start / Run and type:
    rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 c:\windows\inf\ie.inf

Press ENTER

6. Heineken Man

Heineken Man Guest

umm

Correct me if I am wrong but going to add/rem Programs and then add/rem window components then unchecking internet explorer folowed by the next button will remove it from the computer. As a internet tech I have done this many times...

7. madmatt

Re: umm

That doesn't remove it. Removes the shortcuts and such. But since Explorer is similar and basically the same as IE, removing it completely it cannot do.

Follow me?

8. allan

allan Guest

Heinekin - that does not remove IE. You cannot - for now - separate IE6 from the OS - it is considered a key component. When SP1 is released later this year it will separate IE6 from the OS and provide a simple means for removing it.