Removing IE

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Bman, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

How can I remove Internet Explorer totally, so good that everything on the computer related acts as if it never was there! Any help please!! Thanks :)

2. versionfiv

versionfiv OSNN Addict

I assume a program similar to Norton Cleansweep would get rid of that right quick. Firebird all the way!

3. Bman

anyway without a program? If not where can I get that?

4. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

HAHA! You can't! Internet explorer is built into Explorer which is what is used for "MY COMPUTER" It's built into the kernel.

Longhorn is supposed to separate the two.

5. Bman

why the hell you laughing dumbass!!

I heard you can! Its called TWEAKING, means you tweak stuff that is not what you want [or whatever], IE is that!!

6. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

I was not laughing at you... I was laughing about the situation. That is one of the reasons that MS has been battling the anti-trust laws. Please do not get so upset. Sorry if you felt I was laughing at you.

7. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Just remember that Windows Update and Office Update can only be used with Internet Explorer, so even if you could delete it, probably not such a good idea.

8. ZeeTX

ZeeTX Guest

Hi Everyone: I am new member here:

Get this file - 98lite45.exe from here:Tweak File

It is supposed to Remove all versions of IE including 6..!!
    Try it if you want to..

ZeeTX

9. Bretenn

Bretenn Guest

yes it suppose to remove ie... but i think this is for 98 and me

10. Bman

mmm..dont know if i should try it..ZeeTX did it work for you

11. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

You can't remove it, though if you install XP SP1, there is an option under Add/Remove programs called "Set Program Access and Defaults." Here, you can force Windows to recognize a different browser as the overall default, and this choice should override IE in all instances where opening a browser is required. It doesn't remove it, but essentially disables it for all web browsing activities for your browser of choice.

Attempting to uninstall IE is next to impossible in XP without completly breaking the OS.

JJB

12. Bman

I used the "Set Program Access and Defaults" option thing, and set it to use my current Browers "Avant" and put it so that i dont have access to IE, it didnt work. When I click on msn it opens up IE.. (which means, new problem...getting everything to open up Avant Brower)

13. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

The so called "removing" access to IE just sets the iexplore.exe icon to hidden, I know that I have hidden icons shown and so do other people, so it is a pretty worthless feature.

14. Bman

I can agree with that.. :( dammit

15. lechtard

lechtard Guest

Here is XPLite : http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html : It is supposed to work .. I have'nt tried it yet so I don't know ...

The thing about it though is that M$ is playing off the totally computer illiterate people by saying that IE is removed when it is actually just hidden.. In xp you can go to add/remove Windows Components and select to remove it, but all it does is delete the majority of icons and hides the folder - I believe it's the same way in sp1 ... either way the above prog might work, have to try it to see ..

Also avant is a addon for IE so if you remove IE you won't be able to use the browser ...

16. Bman

I was going to try that but the 2000 version (for xp) is not out yet!

17. lechtard

lechtard Guest

Yeah I see that now that I look for it ..

18. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

That's the way MS works.

19. Bman

Yea, i know. It sucks cause you use to be able too with 98.

20. ZeeTX

ZeeTX Guest

Those who still wondering how can IE be removed from Windows XP/2000 - Here's a BETA Utility from the same (98lite) software company - XPlite.
    It should be out by the end of this month. First look says that this is a very powerful software.

Here's a quote form the Website:
    More Info & Screenshot can be found HERE

Hope this helps..:rolleyes:

ZeeTX