Removing applications.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by the warrior, Aug 25, 2003.

1. the warrior

the warrior Guest

How do you remove an application that is on your machine and save it. What I mean is I down loaded an application and I want to make a copy and want to save it to a cd.

I hope that makes sense

2. Vorpal

Vorpal Guest

Are you saying you installed an application, lost the installation exe and want to back up the installed application?

Anything installed probably will have registry keys and files outside it's own directory (like in the sys dir). Unless you install under an app that logs changes to your system (what reg keys were added, what files were added and where) I don't think you can do what you're talking about.

:) More detail bitte

3. the warrior

the warrior Guest

Hmmmm.. Am I able to back the application up, reformat my hard drive then restore it?

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

back it up and try it on a friends pc.

5. Vorpal

Vorpal Guest

Depends on what it is... for example the game Quake3 would work fine if you did that.

6. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Maybe if you tell us what application you are trying to back up we could give you a little more information. Just for your information... probably 85% of all applications will not work if you copy the directory and restore it. Sometimes even the smallest programs install hundreds of registry keys and a couple OCX files.

7. the warrior

the warrior Guest

Partition Magic

8. Vorpal

Vorpal Guest

I haven't used that in a long time, but why would you want it installed on a system level?

I always thought of it as a seldom used floppy based tool.

9. the warrior

the warrior Guest

This must be a much newer version then, cause it is a pretty chunky program

10. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

Just burn the install file to CD-R R/W with your favorite burning utility (even Window's built in burning utility works great by the way).

11. the warrior

the warrior Guest

12. the warrior

the warrior Guest

You mean the .exe file right

13. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

The file you downloaded and ran the install from.

14. the warrior

the warrior Guest

that was a few months ago, not sure which one it is now. It must be the .exe I'll give it a try on another pc in a couple of days to see if it works. Thanks.