Removed NAV 2005, problems...

I got WMP working again. Updated it to v10 and that fixed the problem. Should have done it a while ago but I use winamp. Might re-install norton (temperarily) and see if it fixes the search problem.

Installed Avast! and I got that error message at start up again :eek:. Removed avast and the error disapeared. I dont know why everytime I install a AV that error comes back.

At least avast removed cleanly....

You need to fix these in HJT:

R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present

You also need to update XP to SP 2

Wow, AVG really screwed up my computer....
I install it, then i re-boot and find out that I cant logon. I type in my pass and it starts logging on but then the computer just shuts down. Tried booting to last known good config but it didnt work. Had to boot in safe mode, go on admin account do system restore. I can log on know but the error is back. (loader could'nt initialize service).

Does anyone have any ideas to why this is all happening? I tried it without sygate on, and theres no differnece. Stupid norton :angry:

Will fix Hi-jack this log, and as for SP2: I tried instaling about 2 months ago and some error occured (OS not pirated). I have all the other Windows updates though.

Search still doesnt work, and I found about 50 entries in registry that Norton left behind.

[EDIT]
Re-installed Norton to see if search would work, but it still doesnt. But, the error on startup is gone again. Hope it doesnt come back this time :squareeye.
Im calling it a night, ive been on my computer all day trying to fix it.

Run a BIOS update.

"AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address"

Turn off HID service. (Human Interface Device) by stopping it and turning it to manual.

Turn Removable Storage to Manual.

Start-Run type "services.msc" w/o the quote marks. Follow the above instructions.

You also seem to have a CD-ROM problem according to redbook specs and Winders, however I don't know if it will exist after a BIOS update and or un-installing your CD-ROM. We will try that later.

Re-install your Norton Systems Works then un-install again. You still have components left over in the registry from it.

I would also like copy of your system specs sent to me.

Please use Aida32 and run a basic text report.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download183.html

Thanks

Thanks a bunch Steevo for looking that over, it was long. Rep points to you. Ill do all those things but I dont know if ill have time today.
Noticed yet another problem- I cant check me email on MSN 7.0.0632
Ill try re-installing.

[edit] I noticed that System Information doesnt work and that I cant uncheck "hide protected system files" in Folder options.

BOOTIMG and BOOTCAT appeared hidden on my desktop today, can someone tell me what they are?

And, the MSN problem isnt fixed after re-install

Anyone know what they are? I deleted them and everythings working fine.
This is just and update:

Search
MSN email
System information

Error on startup - fixed
Windows Media Player - fixed
Hide System files - fixed

Thanks Steevo, will do.

Just have 1 or 2 qiuck questions:

Whats the booting program?
"Prepare one piece of clean bootable floppy disk with only booting program installed."

and

"Warning: For NFII chipset based motherboard, please do not give "/F" instruction.Otherwise, LAN MAG IP will be lost that might cause your LAN feature failed."
Does this apply to me?

Sorry for wasting your time, but you said I have to be really careful when updating BIOS.
Thanks alot

Create a boot disk using Win 98 or the like. That is your bootable media.

No, you seem to have a VIA 694X chipset.

I may have just found out what was really causing that error at startup. It always disapeared and then came back the next boot.

I installed NOD32 and it found a trojan (can't rember the name) in userinit.exe. I read up on the trojan and it said that it create's userinit.dll and a file called userinit.exe which contains the trojan. At every startup the infected file would start up and cause errors.

I wonder why Norton and other online scans didnt detect it? :rolleyes:

I'm giving up. Too many problems.
Im going to re-format but im not 100% sure how to. Im going to be folowing these instructions. http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

But Im unsure about one thing: I installed XP over Windows 2000, and my hard drive is NTFS. Im kind of confused about this: do I have NT or XP, and do the instructions im going to folow apply to me?

Sorry about wasting all your guys' time.

If you need to know anything else just ask me.

Thanks alot

I have no clue about if you have NT or XP. But I do know that if you installed a full version of Windows XP on your comp then you'd have XP and those would be the right installation instructions (where was that info all the time I broke my comp?) If you installed an upgrade though you'd have to follow the directions for Windows 200 to install that then install the XP upgrade.

Hope this comes close.

Great now im even more confused. :suprised:
Is there some way for me to check if I did a clean XP install, or if I upgraded and over what?

Thannks Ferral_Imp I thnk you stopped me from making a mistake

"Error: Loader coudn't initialize service"

Perhaps check services? Start->Run type in services.msc and hit enter. Look for any Norton related Services, and disable them. Reboot.

I already fixed that problem. It was a trojan in userinit.exe.
Thanks for your intrest though Mastershakes :)

maffew said:
Great now im even more confused. :suprised:
Is there some way for me to check if I did a clean XP install, or if I upgraded and over what?

Thannks Ferral_Imp I thnk you stopped me from making a mistake

If you bought a full version of Windows Xp then you did a clean install with just Windows XP. But if you bought the upgrade cd then you just upgraded over your pre-existing Windows OS with XP.

You'll have to check to see which. (the easiest way would be to look at the retail box if you still have it.)

Here's a link to both at New Egg so you can look and compare

Full Version

Upgrade Version

Hope this helps you out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back