Remove windows 2000 question?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by sboulema, Sep 27, 2002.

1. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

I have windows 2000 installed on my c: partition and i have XP installed on my h: partition. The problem is that i would like to remove the window 2000 partition. How can i remove the partition and still be able to boot to windows XP?

2. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

does no one have any idea!!! Please help me :(

3. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

partion magic is your safest bet

4. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

can you please tell me exactly what i have to do with partition magic. I tried it once with PM to remove the c: partiton and to add the free space to H, but i always ended up with windows xp not able to boot

5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Once you have moved C into H & pm has made all the changes. Reboot with pm floppy disk 1 inserted. It will then ask for disk two. Once at the screen right click on H drive & set it 'active'. Reboot. I'm not too sure how that will affect xp - changing the drive letter from H to C.

6. dadecamp

dadecamp under worked, over paid

C: is the Boot Partition and can't be removed. I have tried to but not with PM.
    All I could do was reformat after adding a new hard drive, making the new one the master C: with a clean install. I then transfered what I wanteed from the old drive before reformating it.

7. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

hmmm thanks for the replys but it looks like i have to format :(

8. Rootz

Rootz Guest

DO NOT CHANGE XP DRIVE LETTER (H) AND DO NOT REMOVE/FORMAT BOOT PARTITION (C)!
    it will screw WindowsXP.
    You first need to remove 2000 manually from C drive leaving the machine boot files intact (present in the C root).
    Read here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q103049

Remove then the Windows2000 boot entry from the boot.ini file (always on C root).

Then you can use Partition Magic or similar to reduce C drive size and add it to WinXP H drive so you don't waste all C freed space.

...and be very VERY careful (backup)!!