Remove VLC From Context Menu

N

Not Bman

How can I remove the VLC context items from the menu?

Wow, this is the first time I post in here, and get no reply..

hmmm

Either edit the registry - but I cant find the link :dead:

The solution I used was to re-install VLC and unticking the option for "context menu item" on the installation menu.

They have the option to do that when installing, but not after. How dum is that! Anyone else have the registry edit?

I think it would be quicker to re-instal, could be waiting all day to find out the reg-edit :p

I just uninstalled and reinstalled unchecking the option the second time around.

Start>Run>regedit
Look under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

That's who I was waiting for, always worth the wait.

Thanks Netryder!!

Edit* I don't see one for VLC...anywhere else?

Hmm...I'm guessing it's filetype-specific then. In that case, you'll need to look under the keys for each extension that VLC is associated with under the HKCR tree, which is going to be a pain. Stick with the uninstall/reinstall method instead. :)

Oh, old thread here but also the first one that comes up when searching for "vlc context menus". The registry key is HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Shell. There should be two keys under this for Add to VLC playlist and Send to VLC playlist. Delete them and that's it. It's three years since this post and it still isn't an option in the application to do this. Ug.

Yea thanks for the update, I don't even remember posting this. And I guess it don't matter anymore, cause I don't even use VLC at the moment.

Awesome! This worked for me! I used ninite to install VLC and other free apps, so I didn't have a choice to not add items to the context menu via ninite.

I also found this on VLC's forum after finding this post.
The VideoLAN Forums • View topic - Remove context menu

I'm submitting a post for a feature request to add this ability to preferences. Maybe it'll get added some day. :)

Edit:
The two main keys are:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\AddToPlaylistVLC HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\PlayWithVLC

Those only effect the context menus when you right click on folders. If you want to remove the context menus for mp3's and such, then the easiest method is to uninstall/reinstall and uncheck the file associations options.

PS. This may be an old post, but it is still the number one search in Google when looking up "remove flc from context menu" :)

Last edited:
Oh, old thread here but also the first one that comes up when searching for "vlc context menus".

Same reason I'm here. :)

Sadly, when you update VLC you have to uninstall and then reinstall. It's easy to miss the 'Context Menu' checkbox.

VLC%20Context%20Menu%20Checkbox%202013-11-05.png

If you're comfortable with the registry editor, you could
  1. Uninstall VLC
  2. Use the registry editor to create and set both those keys "Read Only"
  3. Install VLC

That way, when you update (uninstall/reinstall) VLC, it won't be able to modify those keys even if you miss the checkbox, and they should stay empty.
--
Dr. Bob

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back