Remove Cpu From Motherboard

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ste_w, Feb 15, 2005.

1. ste_w

ste_w Moderator

Hi all

How do i remove the cpu from the motherboard? Cpu can stay in the heatsink i just wanna remove cpu from mobo n place it in a new mobo, how do i do this n what will i need?

Reason i gota Change mobos is.. http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=56129&highlight=usb suggestions on there would be nice aswell.

Thanx

Ste_W

2. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Take fan off, then lift up lever and it should pop out.

3. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

well if its a standart CPu cooler all you do is use a srewdriver (flat) to unpin the cooler look for a notch on the tension pin thing and with the screwdriver pull away from the cpu. Once this pops off then gently jiggle the cooler loose and then you will have the cpu. Lift the resting arm for the cpu and then gently remove. Do all this carefully dont let a scredriver slip. and pull cpu straight out.

and do essentialy the same thing to get it back on.. But getting one on is a Bigger pain in the ass lol.

4. ste_w

ste_w Moderator

lol Thanx, so all this involves Cpu still on the heatsink thing yea? will i need any of that paste?

5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

No, first you take the heatsink off. Then you take the cpu out. Install the cpu on the new board and install the heatsink.

You may need to replace the paste, but I'll leave that recommendation to others. :)

6. ste_w

ste_w Moderator

Will i have to replace the paste then?

7. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Clean cpu make sure it's dry then apply a fine new layer. Thats what I do.

8. ste_w

ste_w Moderator

Not sure where i placed the stuff, so am i able to just put it bk on or not?

9. Kush

Kush High On Life!

make sure when u clean it u use 90% isopropyl alcohol, and dry it with somthign that doesnt leave residue

10. onimkron

onimkron OSNN Senior Addict

The mixture mafia recommends sounds about right, but if you feel that it requires too much work, you can pick up a bottle of TIM-cleaner by Akasa (I think there's a few other brands, google might be a good choice). I got mine from scan.co.uk, overclockers.co.uk stock it too. You can probably find thermal paste from other retailers as well.

11. Kush

Kush High On Life!

the best thermal paste you would wanna use is arctic silver 5 make sure ure getting the real stuff as there are fakes of it