remote guest?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Kush, May 24, 2003.

1. Kush

Kush High On Life!

hi guys, they finally hooked up my vdsl, now i can see my friend on the dsl network on another compound, the thing is when i want to connect to him or he connects to me, how do i set the username and password that he connects to me with? below is a pic of me trying to connect to him, but nowhere did we put a password, but anything i put in even leave it blank doesnt work. i wanna give him only permission and him only give me permission.

can u tell me step by step plz. i tried it before but i just get lost!:confused:

here is the pic

2. Kush

Kush High On Life!

anyone wanna help me? plz!!!!

3. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

Well it depends what you mean by connect....how exactly are you trying to "connect" Netbios?, FTP, Terminal Services? Remote desktop?

4. Kush

Kush High On Life!

through the network

5. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

that looks illegal....jk!!!

6. Kush

Kush High On Life!

anyone wanna help? isnt maybe in gpedit.msc

7. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Here I go... themafia_69, I am going to help you even though you called me an "idiot" in a thread about a month ago...

I am assuming that you are attempting to connect using a UNC path (ie: \\172.20.40.220\share) correct? This will not work if the user's administrator password is blank. XP disables network shares if there is a blank admin password. Also, you do not have authentication rights on that box. I would recommend that he set up a local account on his PC for you. Assign a password and permissions for that account. I do not believe that the guest account gives you permission to network shares, but I might be wrong there.

Hope this helps...

8. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Enyo: I have helped many people in the past couple months. I do not spam, like 80% of the people on this board do. I do not appreciate being insulted and I will not stand for it. I work in the industry and I am good at what I do. I support our corporate office as well as 14 remote locations. I do software automation, RIS administration, and software distribution. I deal with network issues, software and hardware issues, testing of new software amongst other things. I make good money doing what I do and above all of that, I really enjoy what I do. I help out here because I feel that I can help others.

edit - SPeedY_B

9. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Now now, play nicely.

Edited both your posts.

10. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

SPeedY_B: I understand why you removed what I posted and I appologize. I just do not feel that anyone has any right to insult anyone else. I believe that is part of the forum guidelines, is it not? I understand that one less user would not matter much to the board because there are thousands, but I would hate to leave because I really enjoy helping others. There may be times that I do not know 100% of what I am talking about, but most of the time I do. I am an MCP and I did NOT receive my certification from cramming for a test. I passed without studying and on my first try. I believe that I know enough to help just about anyone, but I do not know everything. I feel I should be able to enjoy the board without being insulted. Is that too much to ask?

11. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

I can take a joke as well as the next person, but a joke is usually followed by a "HAHA" or a "JK"

If you are going to insult someone as a "joke" then make it apparent that it is a joke.

12. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

I can see what you're saying, but I could also see that Enyo was posting in jest because in your first post you wrote
    So he wasn't insulting you.

Obviously everyone has a different sense of humour and/or perspective so things can get out of hand, also you can not represent emotion/sarcasm in text form, so you can't tell what frame of mind someone is posting in.
    It was just a joke so I think it should be left at that, and the thread should go back to its originating topic :)

13. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Sorry... I have images turned off because I am at work and a lot of them are too "offensive" in a workplace environment. I will let it go.

14. Kush

Kush High On Life!

nevermind i found out how, u have to enable the guest account if disabled in the user accounts, change the password or remove it, and that will be the password for the remote login