Remote Desktop via Dialup

K

kingnothing

Is there any way to access Remote Desktop by dialing straight into the computer?

This is the basic scenario I want to be able to do:

I run a web server on my computer, and I leave my DSL connection on all the time. Since I use PPPOE to connect to my provider, if the connection is lost, my server goes down. I have already set it to redial if the connection is dropped, and to redial 32767 times until it connects. However, sometimes the connection gets dropped and Windows doesn't redial.

I can access my computer through Remote Desktop if it's connected to the internet, but if the connection is lost and Windows decides not to redial, I won't be able to connect to it without having to dial in over a regular phone line.

Can I make Remote Desktop work by using some kind of dial-up server, or other connection? I'd like to avoid using PCAnywhere or LapLink.

Thanks in advance.

Total and complete shot in the dark (as I have never had a need to do this), but what about setting it up as a dialup server? Some people did this to host peer-to-peer games of Quake and basically ran a mini-WAN (over-simplified, sure ;)) between the machines to play. This way, you could connect to it, and then launch TS over your network. Again, this is just a shot in the dark.

HTH

sorry..maybe i'm smoking crack but have you always had to dial into DSL??! I thought it was always on...aleast in my area I never remember having to dial

While you may or may not be smoking crack, I do see why there might be some confusion :D. On some ISP systems, you have to authenticate for your connection, and they do have timeouts for inactivity. Hence, the reason for a dialup adapter configuration.

lol alright, I was like geez, sure has changed since I got cable modem and rid of DSL lol

Well I set up a VPN connection between the two computers on my network. I setup the IP address on one of them to something completely different so that I couldn't connect to the other computer through the network (not even Remote Desktop). Once I activated the VPN connection between the two, I tried again, and I could connect once again. I can't test it yet because I only have one phone line, but I'm assuming it'll work if I make an incoming connection with VPN access.

I hate having to dial into my DSL service. I was used to my cable modem connection back at home, but they blocked all the nice outgoing ports like 80, 443, 21, 110, and 25. I could go for a static line for an extra $15, but I'm already paying $50 for my current service, plus $30 for a phone line I don't even use for anything else.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back