Remote Desktop Troubles

celticfan11

OSNN Senior Addict
I have remote desktop on my home PC. I connect to it via my work laptop. It used to work fine. Now when i try to connect the following happens.

I ALWAYS get to the screen where i enter username and password.
After i enter in the info, sometimes the screen will load half way, sometimes all the way, or sometimes not at all. It then disconnects. It is pretty much unuseable. BTW I have a cable connection at my home PC and a t1 at work. I have tried to connect to RDP at 2 differnt locations from work (meaning 2 different networks and 2 differnt internet connections) both result in the same problem. I believe the problem is on my HOME PC's end. Any suggestions?

Applied any hotfixes at home recently?
When was the last time it worked properly, and has any new software been installed, or settings changed at the OS level?

Are you still logging into the same account at home that you usually use?
Is there anyone ever using the system at home when you attempt this?

all hotfixes are installed.. WIN XP Pro SP2 is the OS
it worked properally last week. Nothing has been installed or changed on that PC. And yes i am using the same Account, and no, there is noone using this, noone ever uses it but me.

Edit: my work laptop also has SP2 w/ all updates installed.

Are you logging in as Administrator ? There are a few posts suggesting an odd anomaly where they need to log in as admin, log out, and then attempt to connect remotely.

I would imagine they are referring to the PC/laptop you are using to connect to your machine at home, though I'm not 100% positive.

Still searching... the ports must be open, as you are getting the login screen on your home computer...

well the connection is going through a router at home, so i have port forwarding setup. So that is taken care of. And my username is an Admin account, so yes i am logging in as admin.

BTW it does work sometimes, as it is working now, where 5 minutes ago it didnt work. I would enter the password, half the screen loaded then it froze and disconnected, it did this about 8 times before i could connect and stay connected.

edit: one other thing to note is, once i actuallty get the screen to load 100% (meaning i see 100% of what i would see if im sitting at the actual PC at home) after entering the password, it seems to work fine. IT is just getting it to load all the way is the trouble.

Error.jpg

This is the error message i receive when the screen stops loading after i enter the password.

I would more think a handshaking problem...

Its odd to be sure.. but if it were a network problem you would think when it works it works all the time, and then when it didnt it would be a network was down issue...

If this just started I would think of recycling your router,cable modem, and swtich, *if you have one as well as the router*; just to be sure it isnt because something is locking up and its so intermittent you dotn see it when at home....

If you figure anything out, you need to post this one, as I imagine this is one many people have had in the past..

mlakrid said:
If this just started I would think of recycling your router,cable modem, and swtich, *if you have one as well as the router*; just to be sure it isnt because something is locking up and its so intermittent you dotn see it when at home.....

have power cycled all devices a dew times over the weeks.

if that worked, it would almost sound like a firewall issue, that doesnt jive though because you can get it to work without issue other times... very wierd indeed...

mlakrid said:
if that worked, it would almost sound like a firewall issue, that doesnt jive though because you can get it to work without issue other times... very wierd indeed...
i concur

I agree, if it did work after changing the listening port, there was a firewall hiccup somewhere. Did you have the chance to try and connect from somewhere else besides work?

If you are at your PC at home, you can enter the IP from your local machine through RDC, and you should at least get the authentication window, which at that point you can click cancel. Try that, and then switch the ports back to default, try again, if it works there is probably something in the firewall that is blocking, or has a bandwidth cap on certain ports.

mlakrid said:
software firewall maybe? at work?
no software firewalls. I am at a different location (whole differnt company and network) now then when istarted this post and i still go the problem when i came here. After switching ports all seems fine.

kcnychief said:
or has a bandwidth cap on certain ports.
I was thinking along those lines too.

Try doing it from your local PC, or PM me your IP and I can test. I have access to roughly 6 different LAN's at the drop of a hat ;)

update... changing the ports appears to have fixed this problem thus far.

Good to hear, wonder if it's worth trying to find where the issue actually originated from?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back