Remote desktop stopped working (?)

dejanr

OSNN Newbie
This one is driving me crazy.

At work I have ZyXEL ZyWALL 10. At home I have Linksys WAG54G. I have a VPN IPsec tunnel up and running. I can ping, map disks, everything works except remote desktop connection. And even RDC worked for months until last Wednesday. Then it just stopped working, without apparent reason. I didn't change anything in ruter configuration; maybe I just did some Windows XP Pro update (critical update from Microsoft site).

And now goes the funny part: RDC actually work from home Windows XP Pro SP1 computer to Windows 2003 server at work, but only if I open one RDC connection, click connect, then minimize this connection, start another one and connect using it to the server. Then it works for hours, without problems.

If I try the same medicine for Windows XP station at work, it works partly. Open one connection, Connect, Minimize, Open another connection, Connect, type username and password and now I see the screen, icons etc but cannot move anything, cannot type etc. Then after some time the connection fails.

The message is always "The connection to the remote computer was broken. This may have been caused by a network error."

Old terminal service client works all the times in one direction (from home computer to work). No way to access home computer from work, I just get the black screen when I try RDC or Terminal Service client.

I don't know where to look for a solution. What is the difference between Win2003 and WinXP in respect of RDC? What is the difference between first and second RD connection? Does routing tables change (I suppose this is some kind of a routing / NAT issue) when I have one RDC active, and then start another one?

Please help.

dejanr said:
This one is driving me crazy.

And even RDC worked for months until last Wednesday. Then it just stopped working, without apparent reason. I didn't change anything in ruter configuration; maybe I just did some Windows XP Pro update (critical update from Microsoft site).

I solved the problem, so maybe this will help somebody with the similar symptoms. It is called Black Hole Router, a router somewhere in between sites that does not correctly treat long IP packages.

The solution is included in Window XP, you just have to add one registry key (why didn't they turn it on by default is beyond me). Just see support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314825

Dejan

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back