Remote Desktop on Windows 2003

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by champ2005, Jul 16, 2004.

1. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

I have this strange problem while remotely accesing a Windows Server 2003 computer. I run, for example, Remote Desktop Connection from a Windows XP computer, type in the server name or its ip address, and click connect. it comes up with the remote desktop and a login screen. I type in my user and passwords, click ok, and the remote desktop window disappears, with no warning or error messages.

Things i have done:
    • If i type the wrong password, a message appears that it was the wrong password, and goes back to the login screen.
    • I have tried using different usernames, creating new ones on the server, giving them varying levels of rights
    • Ive tried connecting from computers on the network or over the internet, from different O/S es (2000, XP etc) and using different connection software (remote desktop connection, terminal services client etc)
    • All of the above things yeiled the same results
    Is this a known bug or issue, or does anyone have any idea what it might be?

2. negativefactor

negativefactor ..of the vast oceans.

Does the same problem occur when you attempt to log onto the Windows 2003 server with the administrator account of that machine?

3. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius

does the server system happen to have the nvidia drivers installed?

4. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

ues it happens with the admin account and yes im pretty sure it has the 56.72 nvidia drivers installed.

5. cpugeniusmv

open up services.msc and disable the NVIDIA Display Driver Service.

6. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

will that disable 2D acceleration (without 2d acceleration doing anything like moving a window is really slow) ?

7. cpugeniusmv

nope. to my knowledge, that service doesn't actually do anything useful :D (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

8. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

don't know why, but it worked, so thanks heaps cpugeniusmv :)