Remote assistance for dummys

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by Skunk141, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Skunk141

Skunk141 OSNN Addict

Hi chaps, I wonder if you can give me a recommendation on a very simple and easy way to connect to a customer remotely, I have known various company's connect remotely when I or my customers have been speaking to them just by entering a website and click to start remote assistance, I want something the same, where I can instruct a customer to a website or something as easy, at the moment I am having to talk them through an install of messenger or talk them through remote assistance which is a pain, hope fully some one has some ideas of something far simpler.

Cheers

2. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

3. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

logmein.com has somethng like that too.

4. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I never had any luck with Remote Assistance, it never seemed to work,

5. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

logmein works great...easy and efficient.

6. DwarfData

DwarfData OSNN Addict

We us http://www.gotomeeting.com It uses a small Java Applet on each client & works well through firewalls. It allows upto 15 users at once to watch a 'presented' desktop. The presenter is able to hand over control to any of the people connected.
    It's actually owned/run by citrix, and let's face it, there's not many companies know more than citrix about 'Remote Desktops' ;)

7. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

I just use Netmeeting.

What you could do is make a tutorial or presentation with Wink of what you are trying to show them then post it on a website and give them the URL.

8. Skunk141

Skunk141 OSNN Addict

Thanks for the info but unless I'm getting something wrong both seem too over kill for me, I'm looking for a cheaper solution....

9. omg its nlm

omg its nlm lvl 17 Hax Folding Team

I use this - http://www.dualdesk.com/

I just send the user a 50K file (host a link)

They just have to run it and it sends a request to my computer... Easy huh?

10. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

11. Skunk141

Skunk141 OSNN Addict

That seems a lot more near the price :) 200 quid ain't bad

12. Skunk141

Skunk141 OSNN Addict

Out of interest how much do you charge your customers for this?

13. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

www.crossloop.com works great. It uses VNC but it goes through most firewalls i have encountered without port forwarding.

14. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Seems like a cool site - have you made any cash from it yet? What do you think of the service?

What is your profile for that site?

15. Skunk141

Skunk141 OSNN Addict

I'd also be interested in that!

16. omg its nlm

omg its nlm lvl 17 Hax Folding Team

Internal use - most users here are consultants. So they are at remote locations.

I am very happy with the product. No issues and simple.

17. pavithren

pavithren OSNN One Post Wonder

the best software for remote assistance would be crossloop. this is a extract from it website:Starting a Session

After installing CrossLoop, you will see a welcome screen with two tabs. Select the Access tab if you would like to connect and control a friend's PC. Select the Share tab if you would like to temporarily share your screen and/or control of your PC.

to download visit crossloop's homepage here

18. cheungroys

cheungroys OSNN One Post Wonder

I've used Logmein for a long time, their Logmein Rescue is a great web application for corporate users to control their client's computer without installation of a program. You do have to pay for it, but it's a great program to pay for.

19. MissingIntellect

MissingIntellect ÜberGeek

Something that I haven't seen mentioned here is a sort of reversed VNC setup... have the VNC port forwarded to go through your firewall, have VNC viewer running in listen mode, and use a little tool called OneClickVNC... basically, you configure it to connect to your system (a dynamic DNS may be necessary), and distribute the package. You could also turn it into a self-extracting executable that runs. Then the user who needs help just has to run the executable, and it will connect to your system and you can control it remotely. The elegance of this is the user doesn't have to worry about it punching through a firewall or any special settings--even a flashing 12 could probably manage to run a program. :)

20. anishannayya

anishannayya anishannayya

Log Me In is excellent. They have free and paid versions. I find the free version easy to use, so something like Log Me In Ignition is probably what you are looking for. Check it out at http://www.logmein.com