Remote admin

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Gobbles, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Gobbles

Gobbles Guest

Is it possible to have a PC running Win ME ask for remote admin on a PC with XP over a network?
  2. clutch

clutch Guest

3. clutch

clutch Guest

Um, I was assuming that you have used remote desktop or terminal services before. But, I was wondering, have you? If so, then this is a really straightforward process for you. If you need any help, just ask.

4. Gobbles

Gobbles Guest

yer if it is like the remote assistance thing in Windows Messenger i should be ok
    but if it isnt could ya gimme a hand
  5. OptyNast

OptyNast Guest

I am not sure about the remote assistance, but If you connect to a Windows 2000/.net terminal server with anyother client than windows 2k/xp you'll only have 90 days to use it. That is unless you fork over the money to buy clients. Windows 2k/xp come with a client and 9X do not.

Have a great one.
  6. clutch

clutch Guest

That's in application mode, not administration mode where those licensing issues come into play:

You only get 2 concurrent connections in administration mode, and you can connect with pretty much any MS OS (and even Linux with a special utility). As for NT Terminal Server, I am not aware of any special licensing other than general user connections (CALs) to it to begin with, so the OS *shouldn't* make any difference.

Back to WinXP, here's a link from MS giving a pretty good overview about it:

And a bit further down, using the left frame on that page for navigation, you will see this little gem:

This link begins to show how to enable it and how to select non-admin users to connect to it.

Once you start using it, it's hard to go back. I administer 7 servers with TS, and another 10 WinXP workstations/laptops (test rollout on these babies) using TS/Remote Desktop/RDP and it makes life MUCH easier.