Reinstalling XP?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Eck, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Eck

Eck .user

Uh, may sound like a dumb question(s), but here goes:

1. If I were to reinstall XP without formatting, would I lose all of my programs and files?
    2. Would I lose my tweaks and settings?
    3. How would I do that? Would I just stick the CD in and click reinstall or whatever? Or would I have to boot from CD?

Thanks in advance.

2. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

Well u in thoery shouldn't lose any of ur programs by reinstalling XP u will however in all odds lose the files in the start menu. As for tweaks and settings my guess is that u would lose those since a reinstall buts back very the way it was before u installed anything or tweak it. I do believe u would have to boot from the cd to get the option of reinstalling

3. Eck

Eck .user

Re-tweaking wouldn't be bad, but I sure as heck don't want to have to rebuild my own start menu. I might as well format if that's the case. :mad:

4. Eck

Eck .user

Well catch, I just did a fresh install (with format) on June 9th I think it was. Only reason I would reinstall is to get rid of this mp3ext program that rapes my mp3 icons and adds some other crap that I can't get rid of without permanently taking away any mp3 file icon at all. Oh well, such a minor thing that ticks me off. What can I say, I demand perfection.

5. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

perfection requires formatting:)

6. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Why don't you right click the start button & zip it & save it to a floppy? When you format & have reinstalled replace the start menu with the zip. Of course with xp's multi start menus who knows. :rolleyes:

7. Eck

Eck .user

I had an ingenious idea in my sleep which is similar to yours Hipster. I just save C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Start Menu AND also C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu to a floppy. Ohh yeah, that should work.