Reinstalling Windows XP

R

Ryguy@Home

Ok so I just reinstalled windows xp to fix my many problems. Everything seems great now(all my problems are gone). When I got my computer it came with winxp and everything was already setup. I have a few questions about setting it up.

1. How do I setup windows update?

Why isn't it in my start menu? Is that normal? When I double click the program in the "system 32" folder nothing happens. When I go to "www.windowsupdate.com I can get into it but before I reinstalled windows xp all I had to do was click the link on my desktop. When I click "scan for updates" it says it is scanning but it stays at 0% (of the scanning). I waited 5min but it stayed at 0%. Is this normal because I have to install so many updates or something?

2. What is the "microsoft virtual machine"? Can I download it anywhere? I wanna chat!

3. Do I have to reinstall drivers for my hardware? When I go to "add or remove hardware" it says that my graphics card is already installed but I havn't done anything yet? Are there any drivers for my graphics card (gf2mx200) that I have to install? I do have a cd for it. Do I have to reinstall my: Printer, Cd burner, Speakers(don't think so they seem to work awesome), my gaming controller, anything else?

Thank you.

In answer too

1/ Dunno. Great help that was. :D

2/Do a search on the forum. This was discussed a couple of days ago & can be downloaded. (microsoft now have back at their site)

3/XP has a lot of drivers. If it's working OK then you could leave it at that.

Ryguy,

Not too sure about the Windows Update (there is a menu item in IE6 under Tools to go there, by-the-way). Did you get a dialogue to ask you if you want to install something like the 'Update Manager' software from Microsoft? Sounds like you probably did & said yes if you get as far as checking for updates, but just thought i'd check.

As for drivers - XP's own drivers work pretty well for most things - your printer etc.. will probably work fine unless you want any special features of the manufaturer's software (the things that monitor ink levels etc..?!) CD-ROM's and CD-RW's typically don't need extra drivers.

However - your graphics card might benefit from installing a some of the nVidia detonators, for OpenGL support apart from anything else. Search on the forums for 'Detonator' - the various versions get discussed quite a lot, or look at XP-erience's guides etc.. - I think there's a benchmark / comparison of different detonator versions with different cards.

Finally, if your speakers aren't working that'll be a problem with your soundcard - what soundcard do you have? Whether it's a separate card, or onboard your motherboard, it might be worth getting an up-to-date driver off the web, or installing from your CD's that came with the PC.

Hope some of this helps!

cheers,

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back