Reinstalling Outlook Express Backup.

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I recently reinstalled WinXPHome and before I did this, I did a backup of my files in my

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{C5FEE46C-9820-42D7-8186-849745E8880F}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\,

as described in PCWorld magazine. Now after the reinstall, I but all those backup files back in the folder, but now the folders that I created before the reinstall still do not reappear in my outlook Express now. Am I missing something? Or did I forget to do something?

Heeter

You dont have to keep them in the same place, for example i keep all my mail on D:\

Open up OE
Tools >> Options
Maintenance Tab
Click the store folder button and change it to where all your .dbx files are.

If SpeedY_B's suggestion didn't help you out (How dare I doubt SpeedY_B?), you might want to check out Microsoft Knowledge Base # Q270670.

It gives detailed info on Importing the Messages from a Backup Folder.

Not sure what PC World said - I'll have to look for the article!

The article is the PCWorld December 2002, page 207. Great article, but only if it would show how to put those folders that I created back. I will check out that knowledge base.

Heeter

Thanks SpeedyB and Damnyank,

That knowledge base did the trick. Thanks again.

Heeter

Well I was quick to reply, The knowledge base imported the folders that I had created and backed-up, but I am still missing the information inside them. I still have the backed up files set aside. Got to figure out how to import the actual information. SpeedyB'sdvice did not fix this problem.

Heeter

Makes one wonder if in fact the information is in the "backup folders".

Is there anyway you can do a right click, Properties on the folders and see if they have any size to them - as in make sure they are not 0 bytes - as in empty folders.

First do what damnyank suggested, to check it is not an empty dbx.

If File > Import procedure didn't help:

Locate where OE stores the data as suggested by SpeedY_B

Exit OE and copy your dbx files from backup directory to the OE store location.

Tips: if you have any other folder than the default folders,
sometime OE refuse to recognize this folders. Here is what you should do:

For example you have a folder named Personal in your backup,
make a new folder and name it Personal,
exit OE goto the store folder, delete Personal.dbx,
than copy Personal.dbx from your backup folder to the store folder

hope this help

Hi damnyank.

There is size to each dbx in my backup folder, compared to a new dbx. So there is something in each file. And Thanks Zalood. I did rename the backup folder and installed it into what was previously there, to no avail. I will keep trying. Also, I did email the writer of the piece, maybe he might have any ideas. I am open to other suggestions as well. Thanks everyone so far.....

Heeter

Heeter,

don't give up . . its got to work as I did this all the time.
Tell us what files do you have in both the store & backup folders.
Make sure you found the actual location of the store folder.

In my previous post, I forget to tell you that you should NOT copy "Folders.dbx" from backup folder to store folder. Sorry.

Well, now when I send the backup folders to the C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{C5FEE46C-9820-42D7-8186-849745E8880F}\Microsoft\Outlook Express folder, Outlook creates a new folder with the same title as my backups but with a one (1) at the end of the title. go figure. This is starting to get a little annoying....

Heeter

Well I keep trying different types of importing, cutting and pasting. To no avail. Can someone out there please help me. Thanks in advance. I really need to get in to my folders.

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back