Reinstall XP home

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by pepper, Nov 16, 2002.

1. pepper

pepper Guest

Can anyone tell me the best way to save my data files before a reinstall of xp,every time xp starts there's an error msg "nt write center need to close".

my restore disc will only let me do a full intall with format.

any ideas?

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Welcome pepper. :) If you have partitions you can save your downloads, documents, etc to there. Have you got a burner? How long has the error been occuring?

3. pepper

pepper Guest

Thx,I have a second drv that means to go though every dir to do a drag & drop to save.Is there a better way?the error have been for about a month,everythings seems to work OK.How do I save the favorites list from ie? thanks

4. rettahc

rettahc Guest

The IE favorites are located in C:\Documents and Setting\(insert user name here)\favorites
    just copy the direcory

5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Seeing as it is only a month why not try doing a system restore? It might correct the problem. Still backup the stuff you want to keep though......for safe keeping.

6. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Do you have any clue what this "nt write center" refers to? Maybe it is one of your startup applications that crashes. Go to Start - Run type: msconfig and look under startup if you can find something.

7. pepper

pepper Guest

the error happen after I setup a second user,I try doing a restore right after that ,but came back after I try setup for a second user again,so I just give up.the name of the error is "Instant Write Control-Center NT" Instant Write Control-Center NT has encountered a problem and needs to close......any clues?

8. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Instant Write seems to be a packet writing software similar to InCd or DirectCd, which allows you to use a rewritable cd like a big floppy. Obviously Instant Write doesn't manage multi-user environments. Guess you'll have the choice to either uninstall it or stick with one user account. To uninstall such kind of software it might be necessary to stop its process in taskmanager first.

9. pepper

pepper Guest

try to copy doc & setting but cannot copy <ntuser.dat>,access denied.Any ideas?

10. yoyo

yoyo _________________

ntuser.dat and ntuser.dat.LOG are the physical files that represent the CurrentUser hive of the registry. I really would not try to copy them back after a reinstall.

11. pacou

pacou Guest

yes, incd best choice, copy the directory of your name user,doc ...
    the partage of the all doc soluce the access denied