regular crashes irq problem?

A

Andrew

I upgraded from ME to XP home. A clean upgrade (new hard drive) to ensure no bugs from ME left over.

I have upgraded all of the drivers and continue to have the pc fall over whenever I run graphics and audio together e.g. games.

The error reported is 0000009c which the kb insists is a known problem with pentium processors (I have an athlon 1.1ghz).

I note that XP has assigned irq9 to all of my multimedia devices (DVD, CD-RW, Graphics card, Sound Card and TV card) and I think this is the cause.

The nice folk at Mr Gatesville insist on reading kb articles 329284 and 162363 to me and insist that XP is supposed to work this way and the problem must be a manufacturers problem.

Any clues? Step for a hint? Do I have to start from scratch and install XP and the hardware one piece at a time?

regards
Andrew

It shouldn't be an IRQ problem. IRQ sharing is perfectly normal in a modern system. But just to make sure you can pull some of that hardware. Then test the stability for a while. This way you can isolate the problem.

A total reinstallation might help to. **** can happen sometimes.

Thanks for the assist.

Mr Gates buddy called back and confirmed possible ACPI/HAL on install issue. But most likely dodgy modem driver (xp says driver ok but tech support doubt it).

Will try swapping out modem, removing Nvidia drivers and using recovery option from install cd to correct HAL.

ta again

Oh yes, modem drivers are a b*tch in XP. Don't know why though. No reason for it. Win2k had no problem with modems.

I guess they optimized XP for broadband or something. ;)

Originally posted by Zedric
It shouldn't be an IRQ problem. IRQ sharing is perfectly normal in a modern system. But just to make sure you can pull some of that hardware. Then test the stability for a while. This way you can isolate the problem.

A total reinstallation might help to. **** can happen sometimes.

I tried doing this on my system, and still crashes, worst of all, it even hangs on office xp.

Ok, have you run memtestx86 to verify that the memory is still ok? I know you only installed XP but stranger things have happened. The exact same thing happened to me acctually except I went from Linux (stable for over a year) to XP (death crashes). Turned out the mobo was fuxored.

Don't know about NTFS Guru status but I think your reading my mind. The problem is elsewhere, I just have to track it down

Removed modem drivers and hardware. Removed nvidia drivers and restarted XP installation selecting repair after selecting instal. Isass.exe error...fall over...multiple restarts...shut down run around swear calm down start again. Multiple almost completed installs fall over run around swear go to bed. Install completed first time this morning new usb modem working a treat.

Can't see a heat problem from asus monitor but this is exactly what was going on when I was using ME. It is the reason I wanted rid of ME i.e. multiple failed restarts requiring a full power off shutdown and wait before restarting.

Can I run memtestx86 from command prompt or do I have to be in safe mode?

Sorry to be a pain.
Andrew

You are not the pain, Andrew, your computer is. ;)

Memtest runs off it's own bootdisk:
1. Download memtestx86: http://www.memtest86.com/memt30.zip
2. Unzip, insert a blank floppy and run install.bat
3. Reboot and let run for a few hours

If there are any errors, you'll notice. ;)

Oh, btw, that computer I mensioned, it ran memtestx86 for hours without a problem. Just though I'd say that too. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back