Registry: Turn off animated character (Not Classic Search)?

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
Does anyone know the registry tweak to disable the "animated character"? I don't want to registry tweak that uses "classic search". I like the default XP search but I don't want to stupid mutt.

Google and all other search engines are worthless. Finding anything is nearly impossible these days.

Thank you.

I don't have it on my machine, but when you choose search and the dog appears, you should be able to choose "Turn off animated character"

If you really want the registry hack for it you could do a WinDiff before and after.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to. This is for my slipstreamed disc.

Been a long time sense I done that, but I just found the page I was looking for. I think it's what you want.

"Advanced Customizations
To get rid of the Search Companion and go back to the old way of searching, open up the Registry Editor (regedit.exe) and navigate to the following location:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ CabinetState

Then, add a new String Value called Use Search Asst and set the Data Value to No."

Just over half way down the page HERE

That enables "Classic Search". I want the default XP search without the animated character.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Search Assistant]

"SocialUI"=dword:00000001

1 is on and 0 is off.

ugg

it's right in the user interface guys.

open the search window, hit change preferances, hit without animated charachter

the dog will whimper and walk off untill you whistle him up

if there were negative rep I'd give it to everyone that suggested registry fixes

ugg

it's right in the user interface guys.

open the search window, hit change preferances, hit without animated charachter

the dog will whimper and walk off untill you whistle him up

if there were negative rep I'd give it to everyone that suggested registry fixes
Matt requested a registry fix, hence the title of the thread.

He wanted to be able to add it to his slipstreamed CD ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back