Registry defrag?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ming, Mar 16, 2005.

1. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I was wondering is registry defrag an important thing or not?

There doesn't seem to be any well known manufacturers out there that has such an application. e.g Symantec, McAfee... etc.

I've tried a few different ones in the past but they made no difference to the performance of my older machine.

2. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

TuneUp Utilities 2004 is what I use, it removes registry, cleans it up removes items reboots, rebuilds and your new registry is clean and compact.

Give it a try.

3. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Cool. I'll try it out. thanx.
    But my question is - is it important or not? (as opposed to disk defrag)

4. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

I've never seen the registry cleaners help a computer, I've seen them hurt computers...users don't even realize it's the registry cleaner that caused the issue, whcih they might not have immediatly

I have seen the registry compacting help a user, but that was for a specific issue which needed to be resolved

5. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Tune up utilities never failed with the reg defrag option, I did notice a bit of speed also after using it.

6. Perris Calderon

lee, I have never seen any benchmark that shows any kind of increase in speed from a registry cleaner in xp

7. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

I will have have to agree with Perris on this one. I remember posting this same question a long, long time ago about Registry defragging. I did not notice any speed increases at all. I even tried a Sisoft benchmark utility, and noticed nothing in gains. Cleaning the reg out for obsolete entries is good, but defragging is not at all necessary. Especially since the actual reg is only about a meg big.

Heeter

8. Perris Calderon

I have no issue with cleaning obsolete entries when the app no longer exists on the box

the real problem with registry cleaners is they look for "obsolete" files by finding if they point anywhere.

well, they may not point anywhere "yet", but where put there for a purpose that the registry cleaner couldn't possibly understand unless he was there when the reg entry was conceived in the first place.

I have too often seen people who can't understand why they can't do something they used to...I suggest doing a "go back" from one of these programs and the issue is solved.

my suggestion, you can run these cleaners to look for entries of apps you know you've removed.

however, NEVER run the general scan and allow it to remove whatever it wants to remove.

9. Tweakfiend

Tweakfiend OSNN Senior Addict

Use NTREGOPT part of "Erunt".
    This condenses /compacts and optimises reg entries.
    Very efficient @ home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt

10. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Are you sure? I ran TuneUp last night and it said my registry file was something like 24mb big...
    Or are you talking about a different registry file?

11. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Provided your registry size never gets too big - it would make no difference at all performance wise.