Registry confirmation.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by coathanger007, Aug 26, 2003.

1. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today

When importing a registry entry, Windows Always asks for confirmation. How do I disable this?

2. Same here. I do a lot of importing and gets tired of facing those "Do you want to import....?" messeges.

3. yoyo

yoyo _________________

At HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command you change the value to regedit.exe /s "%1"

This is dangerous. If you want to avoid accidently merging reg files you might think of making edit the default command. That's the way I prefer it. That would be: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell default = edit.
    Doubleclicking then opens the file in notepad, rightclick to merge it.

To merge only a particular reg file silently you can use a batch file and use the regedit /s command or directly write to the registry using the REG command.

4. coathanger007

Thanks for the Tip !!! Very useful

5. jroc

jroc Guest

indeed...seems very foolish to remove that "safeguard" because one might not have enough energy to click "yes" or "no" but then to each there own....hope we don't see a post..."Help...How do I fix my Registry" :rolleyes:

6. coathanger007

I import registry settings when logging off so it's essential to have this automated. It's not a simple case of not having enough energy to click yes/no

7. Daviepants

Daviepants Guest

I would keep the confirmation since I don't want any unknown registry entries modifying my system.

8. coathanger007

That's all very well but realistically, what is the likelihood of me acidentally importing a bad registry entry? I'd have to open dodge email attachments and if I did the registry entry would be imported silently anyway.

9. I don't worry about my registry being modified as I have Norton Ghost images in case and I have Windows XP Home Edition and Professional on a dual boot partition.

10. coathanger007

Imaging is ideal. Unfortunately, Norton Ghost and Driveimage are incompatible with my striped dynamic volumes and no one in this forum has been able to figure out a solution !!!:rolleyes: