Registry Branch delete with .reg

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Powerchordpunk, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Does anyone know what to put in a .reg file to make it DELETE certain branches of the registry? I run an ftp server where i will soon put out a reg file and icon that go in start menu that link to my site. I want to have an easy uninstallation for novice users who don't want to delete a branch in the registry and merge back in the original, unedited branch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

If it is similar to the XP-erience one you could just clear them rather than deleting them:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f6-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}] 
    @="" 

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f6-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\DefaultIcon] 
    @="" 

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f6-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\Instance\InitPropertyBag] 
    "CLSID"="{13709620-C279-11CE-A49E-444553540000}" 
    "method"="ShellExecute" 
    "command"="" 
    "Param1"=""

3. I found this off of freepctech.com:

Deleting keys or values using a REG file
    It is also possible to delete keys and values using REG files. To delete a key start by using the same format as the the REG file above, but place a "-" symbol in front of the key name you want to delete. For example to delete the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup] key the reg file would look like this:

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup]

The format used to delete individual values is similar, but instead of a minus sign in front of the whole key, place it after the equal sign of the value. For example, to delete the value "SetupType" the file would look like:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup]
    "SetupType"=-

4. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

oh man, I knew it was something like that, I tried

-[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup]