reformatting properly?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by DFX, Feb 1, 2004.

1. DFX

DFX OSNN Senior Addict

i remember on the old forum, i was told a program that completely wiped your hard drive. so everything was erased properly - sort of like a reformat but so your drive is brand new?

does anyone have the name to hand?

also another thing i need to know. if i have partitioned my drive, is it possible to just erase C and not X? i know its possible doing it from the xp cd, but is it on this program?

2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

DFX, i don't know of a program to do it, but i believe you're looking for a Low-Level Format, in which case i do not believe that it would be possible to just format a certain partition.

3. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

4. CHiLLaXen

CHiLLaXen hypnotika

if your using XP, just right-click "my comuputer" then go to disk management. You will see each drive and how its partitioned. right click the partition you want to format, "un-check" quick format then click format. This will write zeros to that part of the partition. Doing a quick format will just erase the "table of contents." The only way (I might be wrong) to get your hard drive "brand new" is to do a low level format, but it will erase the whole disk.