Reformat help

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Dubbin1, May 20, 2002.

1. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 I Like Cheese

I want to reformat my computer and this is the first time I ever done it. All I have used before is a restore disc and this time I would like to reformat with out it. I have no idea as where to start. I guess the first thing I need to know is how to get all the old crap off of my computer. Second thing is is that all I have is a XP upgrade disc and a 98se upgrade disc. Will I be able to install just XP or do I have to put 98 on it first? Any Help would be great.

Thanks
    Dubbin

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

If possible try for a full version of XP. Not many seem to like upgrading an OS.

3. tweakerxp

tweakerxp Guest

I hope you find this helpful

OK, I believe that the xp setup will prompt you to reformat your drive, if not you will need a program to reformat your drive. Second of all, all you have to do is insert your xp install disk during your system boot. (make sure that your computer is set to boot from cd-rom in your systems BIOS) and when it wants your 98 disk it will ask you for it it will check it, and then it will ask you to take it out, that is all.

Good Luck:)

4. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

Yup tweaker is right, just boot from the xp disk, and you can do a clean install from there, best and easiest way to go :)

5. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 I Like Cheese

So will that delete all the files on my drive? That is what I want it to do. I want to start with a fresh empty hard drive.

6. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 I Like Cheese

One more thing. How to I get into my BIOS? I have only been in a a few times and I forget.

7. Sprung

Sprung Guest

Be very careful...

I MEAN NO OFFENSE, but most people who ask these types of question end up with a mess.

Good luck Dubbin1

8. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

One mess coming up????? To get to the bios at startup when you see press 'DEL to enter setup' press delete. Have fun.

9. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

well you will not be able to install if both of your disks are upgrade disks. you will need to get ahold of a full version disk of 95, 98, me or 2k in order to use your xp upgrade disk. when you boot from the xp cd, it will ask you to insert the disk of a previous full version qualifying MS OS product. an upgrade disk doesnt count. do you know anyone that has a disk that you can borrow?

10. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

to expand on what hipster said... to enter bios... when you see the cursor flash at the start when booting up... you will either see text saying press such and such button to enter bios or you won't

there are a myriad of combinations to enter the bios... you have to enter the combo, or press the single button when the cursor flashes though...

you can press esc, space, F9, del or a combination of keys to enter... best place to check is if you have a brand name machine, go to the website else go to the motherboard makers site who made your mobo... and there you have it..

:)

hope that helps...

11. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 I Like Cheese

Got it all done :) Didnt have to enter the BIOS or even use the Win98 cd.