Red Hat Minimum Spec

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by indyjones, Jul 1, 2003.

1. indyjones

indyjones OSNN.net Adventurer

Hi I have got the three disk version of Red Hat and I want to set it up and use it as a router/FTP server. What are the minimum specs for this as my current server is only a P233mmx 32meg of ram.

2. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

should be OK, just dont install things like X-Window support and other garbage like that. You might want to put in a bit more RAM, but I know someone running RedHat on a 133.

Its the thing about Linux and Unix, it is scablable

Oh yeah and FreeBSD rules :p

3. indyjones

FreeBSD?? :confused:

And I cant fit more ram as getting EDO is a total nightmare

4. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

http://www.freebsd.org/

If you cant get more ram then the 32 you have will still be able to run it, more ram is always better though :D

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

If you still want to use Linux, Slackware should run well. :)
    But 32MB of RAM might be a little too less to run X.

6. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

I have RedHat 7.0 running on a 32mb/133MHz/2GB that was only because I wanted to see if the box works (which it does btw :p ) and RH was the only CD to hand.

Personally I'd go with FreeBSD as Geffy says.

7. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

If you want a router/FTP server without hassle you can check out ClarkConnect: http://www.clarkconnect.com/

Very easy to set up and use. It wants 64MB RAM though, but should still install on 32.

8. indyjones

Thanks for your help the reason i wanted to use red hat was like SPeedY_B it is the only cd i have to hand and being on dial-up cant download big other programs :(

(the server is for when i return to university in september and need to run a server for the house network (which is on broadband))

9. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Definately go with FreeBSD, it's much nicer for a server. More organised and nicer to use, I think.

Perhaps you could get someone on a faster line to get the iso for you and give you a CD-r?

you could also try http://www.yourlinux.com/ they will send you the 2 FreeBSD 5.1 cd's for £5.00 including postage! Which isn't bad at all :)

10. indyjones

Hi all thanks for your help :)

I have decided to go mad and get some more ram i have found 64meg of edo (2 x 32meg) for £32 so that with 2 of my 8megs will take me to 80meg of ram which should help from the impression i have recived here.