Recycle Bin always empty, Why?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Engineer, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Engineer

Engineer OSNN Addict

No matter how many items I delete or drag to the Recycle Bin, it is always empty or at least it does not show any items in it. When I place items in it the RB gives me the option of "empty Recycle Bin?" because there are items there they are just not being displayed. What gives.

I have XP of course.
    thanks in advance
    Engineer

2. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

do you have windows waher or something like that installed? its a known problem. you can find it on the forums doa search for it

3. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

Right click recycle bin then go to properties and see if "do not move files to recycle bin" is checked. If it is checked, uncheck and apply.

4. Engineer

Engineer OSNN Addict

nope

I do not have windows washer (I have Internet CleanUp by Ontrack but I've had it over a year and no problems ever came up like this) and the "do not move files to recycle bin" is unchecked.

I searched the forum but found nothing specifc.

thanks

5. Mubbers

Mubbers Shoot! Political User

It's related to the suggestion that SnookBooger made but what size allocation do you have for the recycle bin?

If it's set at zero that might be a problem..

Mubbers

6. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Check this site. Scroll down to Recycle Bin. You'll find some information there and among other things a reg file that restores the default registry settings for the recycle bin.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_qr.htm

7. koko

koko Got Root?

sboulema, love your sig pic! very funny.
    :D

8. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

Have you, by any chance, modified the recycle bin icon? If you did, you might have set the full and empty icon to the same pic (or maybe a theme did this).

You can check this by right-click the desktop -> properties -> Desktop tab -> Customize Desktop. Scroll over to the recycle bin icon and see if they are the same (they should be different). Just highlight the icon and click the "Restore default" button (or find a new icon to use). Don't forget to apply the changes.

9. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

Thanks Koko :D

10. Engineer

Engineer OSNN Addict

thanks script

Yor suggestion on restoring the desk top icon default for the Recycle bin fixed my problem.

I am still not sure what caused it, though the only change I have made to my PC lately (before I noticed the problem) was the download of the Windows XP 3D screensaver, that might have done it?

Thanks again, for fixing it.
    Engineer

11. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

I once had a theme that caused this problem for me. Fortunately, the recycle bin icon was the first thing I checked at the time, so it wasn't a big deal for me...