Recovery CDs

W

wahoo24jc

My girlfriend's HP computer came with Windows ME when she got it. It now has XP installed on it, but she wants to sell it and it needs to be set back to the way it was when she got it using the recovery CDs (Can't sell it with the version of XP thats on it if you know what I mean;) ). Anyways, I need to know the best way to do this. She has the recovery discs, but they do not work properly since the hard drive is now NTFS. It is a 40gb hard drive with one partition right now. What is the best way to get the hard drive formatted so the so she can run the recovery disc? By the way...I already know that ME sucks, but the person buying it wants it set back to "factory settings." Don't ask;)

Boot from a Win98/ME startup disk and use FDISK to delete all existing NTFS partitions.

Then use the Recovery CD to restore everything. You might need to create a new FAT32 partition in FDISK before using the CD.

Thanks NetRyder...I am not too familiar with FDisk, could you please explain the steps of what to do? Sorry if that is a dumb question.

Boot from a Win98/ME disk

Enter FDISK at the command prompt.
It's quite self-explanatory from there. Just use the menus to delete all existing partitions. You have nothing to lose ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back