Recovering Slackware partition

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by NetRyder, Aug 8, 2003.

1. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Here's something I've been trying to figure out for two days now.

I had my laptop set up to dual boot XP Pro and Slackware 9.0. I had to re-install XP for some reason (Control Panel wouldn't load up, and nothing was able to fix it :mad: ), so in the process LILO was overwritten by the NT bootloader on the MBR.

I now need to find some way of getting into Slackware so that I can reinstall LILO, and get everything back to what it was.

Being a new Dell laptop, I don't have a floppy drive on this, so there are no boot floppies.

I have the Slackware 9.0 CD, but it's acting strange for some reason. When I boot from the CD, I get the "boot: " prompt where I usually just hit enter to load the bare.i kernel image that's located in the "kernels" folder on the CD. If I try hitting enter, I get the error "Cannot find kernel image: bare.i" I even tried entering "bare.i root=/dev/hda1 noinitrd ro" but I got a similar error.

I was thinking it could be a corrupt file on the CD, but I found that everything loads just fine when I boot from the CD on the other computer. So that's not the problem.

I really need to find some way of reinstalling the bootloader or at least some way of booting into my Slackware partition.

Anyone have any ideas...please! Thanks :(

2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

tsk, tsk, tsk, you gotta create a boot disk during the install :)

anyway, can't you use RAWRITE from DOS to create a boot disk, then reinstall LILO once you're in Slack?

3. NetRyder

Yes, but I don't have a floppy drive on this laptop =\
    ...and it refuses to boot from the Slackware CD.

I'm burning a copy of Morphix (one of those LiveCD distros like Knoppix) to a rewritable CD. Might be able to boot from that and reinstall LILO ;)

4. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

sorry NetRyder, that would be all I would know how to do.

5. NetRyder

Problem Solved

No worries, j79zlr....I just got it fixed 5 minutes ago. I'm posting from Slackware right now. :)

Here's what I did. I first downloaded the Morphix live CD with the minimal components, so it was just a 200MB download. I then booted from that, exited X and got to the bash prompt. Then all I had to do was this:

Code:
    cd /mnt
    mkdir slack
    mount -t ext3 /dev/hdc6 /mnt/slack
    chroot /mnt/slack
    /sbin/lilo

That was it! Just thought I'd post the solution here for future reference :D