Recommend me a SATA

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mainframeguy, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

Right - I have just had so much grief with my Spinpoint 160 GB IDE drives that I am going to RMA one of them (the one that will not detect) and so I think I shall replace it with a SATA device to use the cable and give the technology a spin.

I am NOT going to be setting up any raid format - just getting one for now (and I know this means I do not get extra benefits - that is OK with me).

Would anyone here like to recommend to me a large format (120 plus GB) SATA drive that they like for operation and reliability - ideally with an 8MB or higher cache and proven compatibility with MSI Neo2 board!#

many thanks to anyone that replies

2. Ohzopants

Ohzopants My mom thinks I'm cool

I have an MSI Neo (not Neo2) and two maxtor sata drives (120gB and 80gB) they both work great. I have no idea about the cache on these drives but I don't really care cuz they work great.

You do get extra benefits though: It's FAST! Much faster than IDE.

3. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Maxtor 300GB 16meg cache 7200 RPM SATA, I know Komplett sell them, I believe OcUK do too.

RAID is pointless on a desktop pc.

4. i have an 80gb western digital sata and 3ide western digital (120gb, 40gb, 10gb) i dont fell a difference though with the sata, but it's because i dont do much work on it but it is faster than ide

5. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

nice choice lord - but I do not have that budget, so placed order with OCuk for a 200 GB seagate which is about half that price I think...

also had brain wave and shall try moving slave drive out of old rig to see if my new rig detects that on the IDE - will move my data files too when I 0wn them which is neat ;) :cool:

6. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

Nice choice going with the seagate. They are very nice and fast. Although I just don't like the fact that windows xp doesn't contain the SATA drivers in order to do a good clean install from the start, without editting the Win XP cd.

7. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Have to say Seagate SATA's here they are whisper quiet and have the 5 years not 3 coverage.

So for me its Seagates