Reasons for Adware's actions

zeke_mo

(value not set)
Staff member
Political Access
Ad/Spyware Vendors Threaten....Everyone
Small stationery company is the latest
It isn't just security websites and anti-spyware developers being threatened by the Ad/spyware industry: Stationery/Wallpaper website CloudEight notes they're facing legal threats from Hotbar, Inc. for referring to their software as spyware (see their rant and compiled info on Hotbar's "stellar" reputation). Hotbar threatened to sue Lavasoft (makers of Adaware) for $6 million in damages for detecting their application (Lavasoft then pulled Hotbar from their definitions).

Source : http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/61443

Maybe this is old news, but I hadn't heard it. This is the reason behind adware removing certain programs from their def file. I'd imagine :p

Maybe they should just call them unwanted and still remove them and avoid the legal issues?

Sad that companys like that can sue a company trying to undo the damage they have done. Oh and didn't Gator sue someone for something similiar to this (someone called them spyware)?

bastards - Hotbar - or any bleedin' bar is so obviously a ware I really do not want anywhere near my machine... I hope GIANT (err I mean M$ beta) still has it in theirs - after all M$ will not be put off by a piss poor $6million suite - they could counter sue for $6billion!

As you say - it probably is an old news/technique - I think Kazaa or those bastards who did a very aggressive time/date spyware I forget the name of connected with that pulled somethign similar but did not get the definitions pulled. Personally the part of this story which is news for me is that Adaware pulled the definition - which saddens me.... where will it end?

Xie said:
.... Oh and didn't Gator sue someone for something similiar to this (someone called them spyware)?

LOL yeah in my post it is GATOR I was forgetting name of! :D

Yeah and shortly afterword they changed names to re-start the terror with a fresh new name. :dead:

Hehe, it's kinda funny/lame how at one time lavasoft also detected Spybot Search & Destroy, killed it, removed it from the machine.

Xie said:
Maybe they should just call them unwanted and still remove them and avoid the legal issues?

Sad that companys like that can sue a company trying to undo the damage they have done. Oh and didn't Gator sue someone for something similiar to this (someone called them spyware)?
good idea;

I like the idea of having a list of "requested to remove" software, and a user could "opt out" of whatever they wanted to opt out of

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back