Reappearing Icon

oldpopd

OSNN Junior Addict
I have no idea where or how but this icon shows up on my desktop, my documents, ontop of pictures, in c,d, and e drives. It lists as cmsstoage LST file. I delete and erase it but it comes back. I have scaned for everything I could think of. How do I get rid of it? And what is it? If you can help thankyou.

Originally posted by oldpops
I have no idea where or how but this icon shows up on my desktop, my documents, ontop of pictures, in c,d, and e drives. It lists as cmsstoage LST file. I delete and erase it but it comes back. I have scaned for everything I could think of. How do I get rid of it? And what is it? If you can help thankyou.

Wat Icon ?????????:huh:

Its says cmsstoage a windows icon I can change the look by opening it with word note or whatever. If I could find it I could get rid of it. But like I said it comes back after I delete it. I would like to know where it came from. Why would a LST file atached to a icon show up like that.

Its says cmsstoage a windows icon I can change the look by opening it with word note or whatever. If I could find it I could get rid of it. But like I said it comes back after I delete it. I would like to know where it came from. Why would a LST file atached to a icon show up like that.

Have u tried to do a search and delete it from there ?????

Just be carefull of wat you delete though...you don't want to delete a important file......

Alloy25

I cant find the file to delete it. The reappearing is spread like I said in my first post. Could it be part of a program I uninstalled or someones hack.

I cant find the file to delete it. The reappearing is spread like I said in my first post. Could it be part of a program I uninstalled or someones hack.

have u got ad-aware 6 ???? if not get this and give it a try....

also do a full system scan.......does it appear wen you r on the net or not?????????

Wat o/s r u running ??????

Alloy25

Yes to all, I have scaned with eveything I could think of. I am running XP home. Zone alarm, Norton works, Ad ware 6 Pro , BPS spyware. Why would a LST File named cmsstorage leak from a file or a folder. I can do a file search and delete them, but they come back as I stated. It seems I can't locate the orginal file to delete or remove it. Also when I delete the file or icon my system is not afected or changed. But why or what causes it to reproduce in different locations?

are you viewing protected OS files when searching for the file? also, if it is some sort of virus/adware it is very possible that the root file is actually called something entirely different which allows it to replace everything else you have deleted (I learned this the hard way with a nasty little virus -- took me forever to find out the actual infected file was named something entirely different from all the files NAV was finding and saying were infected, once I tracked down the actual file and removed it, the problems ceased). might also be helpful if you could post the icon that is reappearing as someone may not understand what you're saying but will recognize the icon.

You seem to be the closest to what it is, thankyou. I snap a pic but how do you post it in a forum. What ever I tried did'nt work. Thanks again for everyones help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back