Really Dumb Start Menu Problem

S

shiftyroach

Perhaps I'm just a moron but I'm new to XP so I'm not sure if thats an excuse. My start menu for some reason is showing the contents of my program files directory. Basically when you click on start then all programs you see Administrative Tools, Adobe, ahead, Ahead Nero, Common Files, Creative, etc etc etc.

Its got the normal shortcuts you expect to see in the start menu but also every folder that's in my D:\Program Files\ folder.

Can someone please explain why this is and how I can get rid of it. Using XP pro and clean install, not an upgrade over 2K if that matters. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You can open Windows Explorer and navigate to the 'Documents and Settings' folder. In there, under each user account (your name, All Users, etc) there's a 'start menu' folder under each account... you can go into those and move things around or delete what you don't want showing up in start/All Programs.

They're really aren't any dumb questions. Oh ok, so there is, but this isn't one. ;)

Tried that. They don't show up in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs or C:\Documents and Settings\Shifty Roach\Start Menu\Programs .

When you right click in the start menu to examine them, they're folders not shortcuts. When the flyout, they show you the readme's, .dll's and everything else that you're not supposed to see in the start menu.

I'm totally lost.

That is strange. It's the first time I've seen this problem posted. I can only guess it's something in the registry :confused:

Originally posted by Lonman
They're really aren't any dumb questions. Oh ok, so there is, but this isn't one. ;)
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people." -- Mr Garison, Southpark :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back