Really Dumb question help?!?!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by fortyonejb, Dec 9, 2001.

1. fortyonejb

fortyonejb Guest

okay so here is my stupid question, i'm running XP and i decided to delete a gig worth of MP3's off the drive. so its on my laptop and i had 2.25 gigs free before my delete, now after the delete i have 2.29, i want to know why my drive space wasnt restored, and how on earth i can get that gig of space back

2. Kylie

Kylie Guest

Try scandisk or disk doctor - but first, this may seem stupid but is the recycle bin empty ;)

K

3. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

Empty your recycle bin :) they aren't really gone till you empty the bin heheh

4. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Yeah, that sounds about right, but I thought there was a limit to how much the recycle bin could hold...

5. Kylie

Kylie Guest

There is by default isnt it something like 20% of your HD?
    I have no idea if there is a fixed upper limit mmm time to check just for curiosity sake.

;) ;)

6. wired_lain15

wired_lain15 Guest

i noticed something weird:

when I tried to extract this .rar file, it turned out that there wasn't enough space for extraction. It was around 135MB, I had 335MB left on D: drive and during the extraction, i got a message that it couldn't continue b/c there wasn't enough space left on D: drive. Now I am down to 10.8MB of space.. I have no clue where that extraction went to..:confused: :confused:

It was odd, but my space didn't rise back up.. it's still at 10.8..:eek: :eek:

7. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

it is prob still in your temp directory then.
    check either \Windows\Temp
    or Documents and settings\<Profile>\Local Settings\Temp

the local settings directory is hidden so you will have to show all files...

8. Kylie

Kylie Guest

I seriously think its time for some spring cleaning !!!!!!

K