Read/Write folder permissions in Windows XP Pro

Tech_8356

Alpha Male
Here's the scenario...

I have 2 shared folders: c:\read and c:\write....the network is peer-2-peer by the way

"C:\Read" is where I put files I would like others to have if they so choose, but they can read, execute, and copy the files....complete denial of all write/delete/modify capabilities. They cannot set attributes either. However, I have unrestricted access to the folder and may do as I so desire.

"C:\Write" is where others can put files if they would like to share something with me. They can write/read/execute, but they cannot delete/modify they files or the attributes...any files they transfer to me retain the attributes (save encryption) they had on the original machine. Again, I have unrestricted acces to the folder to do as I will.

Is this possible? I've been fiddling around with the security settings, advanced stuff, share permissions...the works....everything but Active Directory and I just can't get it to work. I've tried setting the security permissions just so, but I can't see the other computers when I try to add users from other PC's. therefore, I mess with the "Everyone" security group hoping that it will affect everyone but me since I'm the owner. It still doesn't work. I may set myself as allowed full control, but if I deny delete rights to everyone, that supercedes my allow full control setting.

Please help....I'm completely dumbfounded on how to get this to work.

Thanks in advance - Tech_8356

Why don't you just create a user with no password and have people who are accessing your PC use that username. You can give that username specific permissions to specific folders and different permissions to different folders.

Lets get some more facts first, are you running on a W2k domain here? Or is this just a workgroup? How many different people will be using these 2 shares.

Let me know and I will type you up a plan of action that will get it sorted no problem.

Deny rights always override allow rights. Have the same usernames and passwords on both PC's and then use NTFS security permissions to control access. Leave the share permissions to Everyone.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back