"read only" problem

K

KevD

Having recently reformatted my hard drive, reinstalled XP & copied across my backed-up files, settings, drivers etc. I have found that all my folders are "read only". If I uncheck the boxes & apply the changes, it appears to make the changes but when I go back to properties, I find that it is back to "read only". Any suggestions?

Thanx.

Kev.

I've noticed this also, all my folders say they are read-only, but I can still read and write to them as normal, is this the case with you, or are your folders actually read-only and will not let you write at all?

the only thing that worked for me is the rd command (remove directory) from the cmd prompt.it is the only way i found to delete
directories.(all of my directories are set to read-only without being
able to change the attributes)
is it a registry problem?
virus?

that doesn't remove the read-only attrib i have on all my folders.
the files inside the folders are deletable but not the folder itself.

Then do this too:

attrib -r *. /s

(drop the last *, folders can be found this way)

I think the switch /d makes attrib clear/set an attribute on directories as well.

go in command (run box-> CMD) and type attrib /? for help.

Im not sure bout the switch coz apparently NT4 doesn't have it...
:confused:

This is a GUI bug where it shows the box as being "checked" when it really isn't. Nothing to worry about.

I don't think so...

the box can be checked and kind of grey-ish. That only means that some of the underlying folders/files are read only.

You can double check with attrib

True......but on folders that would not normally be set to read only $MS explaination for this is a bug showing that it is set to read only when it isn't. Just try to keep that box cleared........bet you can't do it!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back