Read only files and Defrags......

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by sondgerothja, Jul 4, 2002.

1. sondgerothja

sondgerothja Guest

Everytime I defrag, I look at the "Map of Harddrive" and end up seeing all of the spots where there are tons of read only files on my harddrive. I've right clicked on the C: drive and changed read write properties on every file (Or so it seems it should have...) but their still there. When I defrag, they stay in the middle of everything. I've done this on other versions of windows over the years, and had no problem, but XP seems to block my attempts. I know that files are usually set to read-only for a reason, but it's nothing that should keep the file from moving during defrag. Unless of course you've got some weird program for security or something of that nature.

It all boils down to just one thing, How can I defrag ALL of my files on my computer, including the ones that are currently set to read-only.:confused:
  2. GT2000

GT2000 Guest

There are a couple of files that the xp defrag app just won't be able to mess with, and that's the pagefile.sys and the hibernation files.
  3. sondgerothja

sondgerothja Guest

I understand that, but what about using Norton's Speedisk 2002? Would it be able to move them? Or should I just turn off my virtual ram. I'm sure if I defrag, then turn it back on, that that would help. But is there a way to move the other files?
  4. GT2000

GT2000 Guest

I did a quick search on google, "how to defrag pagefile", and came across this article:

it mentions that diskkeeper 6.0 (7.0 now, which I'm sure will do the same)

here's a link to the results, you might wanna browse through for additional info: