Re-installing Xp Pro ?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by kewell, Jun 20, 2002.

1. kewell

kewell Guest

hi ,does anybody know if i re-install xp pro if it will wipe any thing off the pc or will it just put the operating system over the top ??. i've cuurrently got xp pro on but i think ive got some corrupt or duff files and cannot remember how to check them using the windows cd ? any help much appreciated .:confused:
  2. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

You spelled wipe wrong you little genius.
  3. Clean_Rich

Clean_Rich Guest

Hey kewell. I believe you can boot from the XP CD and run a repair. That way you don't have to reinstall XP and lose all your stuff.
  4. bheagle

bheagle Guest

you can also just use System Restore and restore the system to a few days before the trouble hit.
  5. oilerzman

oilerzman Guest

windows xp repair

how do you do the repair?
  6. skytop

skytop Guest

XP repair option before install

Yes, Win XP Pro will offer the choice to 'repair' itself when you begin to do a reinstallation of XP on a machine that already has a copy of itself on the machine.

I gave XP the opportunity to repair itself instead of doing a complete 'clean' install and it actually did work! And well!

It takes about 30 minutes or so for the entire process. I got two wierd messages referring to 'non XP verified files' and that I should discontinue the repair. I disregarded these overly precautious notices and proceeded. All went well and my O.S. is now running 100% again.