RAR Password

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Bman, May 14, 2007.

1. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

I have a bunch of old files with passwords....

how do I get those passwords........and im serious...im not doing anything illegal!

2. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

omg you're stealing the internet!!

a google for "RAR Password Cracker" turned up http://www.rarpasswordcracker.com/ which is shareware and mentions some limitations for the evaluation version but doesnt seem to stipulate anywhere what those limitations might consist of.

Should mention that RAR 3.x archives are 128-bit AES encrypted so even if you chose a dictionary word and not something random it might take you a while get to get back in.

3. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

And you dont remember your passwords?

best part is if this was a noobie he would be told to take a hike.

4. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Thats largely because most n00bies come here after getting a passworded rar file from TPB or elsewhere :p

5. Shamus MacNoob

I never believe someone forgets their password, I just dont buy into it.

6. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I have to change my login at work every other month, I never write it down, it has to be 8 characters min including numbers, letters, caps and special characters and you can't use the same one as one of the previous 8.

Believe me, it can happen :cool:

7. Shamus MacNoob

I think previous 8 is over kill we enforce passwords as well at work, but here we are talking rar so how hard do you make your own passwords?
    Better yet why would you use passwords on your own .rar's?
    There not your own you say.. great ask your buddy who made them what his passwords are.

8. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

or you could do your password like this

0Snndotnet!1
    then change it to
    0Snndotnet!2
    then change it to
    0Snndotnet!3
    etc

and you wont ever forget :)

Shamus MacNoob likes this.
  9. Shamus MacNoob

Thats exactly what I tell the people at work when I am showing them how to make their passwords .

10. vertigo

vertigo OSNN Senior Addict

if bman is successful in "cracking" the files, he's telling the truth i think. if he comes back in 6 months and tells us he's done it, he's been lying.

if you don't know anything about the password "you" set, unlikely you will crack it in a reasonable amount of time, better to just give up.

11. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

Like the time you first find out that you can protect an archive of all your files, so you do. But you don't use the archive but you later delete some of your files and you want them back but by then you've forgotten your password.

12. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

I not only have to remember and change my password on the LAN but I have 40+ mainframe LPAR passwords that need to be changed monthly. My LAN password has to be 8 characters min with 1 upper case letter, 1 number and 1 special character. Most mainframe passwords follow the same rule but there are a few that differ. Not only do I keep a spreadsheet of my passwords, I constantly forget a few due to lack of use. The helpdesk loves me :s

13. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

Thats why im glad im no nood around here, and yea i would forget passwords. These files which were on very old cds i found in a box downstairs, i want to know what these files are, there all named weirdly, I have changed my password many times since those days lol

Even though there were some limitations i used that software along with knowing the kind of stuff i used to use as passwords and I got these files opened.

Can ya guess what they were?

14. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

I must have about 10 or so different passwords to remember for various applications at work. I have to admit though with my network password, which needs to be changed every 45 or so days, I just change the number on the end of it. :p