Random unknown user?

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by zapoqx, Dec 8, 2010.

1. zapoqx

zapoqx Striking Master

I've noticed that I had a couple of folders on some of my drives that has been around for a long while that has some sort of user setting from an unknown user. Some folders date back to way before my re-formats under XP.
    I read somewhere about due to the NTFS that its a security thing and possibly from my old user accounts from back then.

Is there a possible way to remove them?

2. ZeroHour

ZeroHour ho3 ho3 ho3

Just remove them as you would. Basically yes its due to the wipes without full formatting etc and the code is the unique guid of the old user account

3. zapoqx

zapoqx Striking Master

ok. Unfortunately, I'm not able to. The only thing I can think of is use a linux live disk and remove them.

4. ZeroHour

ZeroHour ho3 ho3 ho3

Do you get an error or?
    What OS are/were you running?
    A live CD definitely should not be needed as I have reset ACLs tons of times using windows.

5. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

You probably need to take ownership of the folders/files as the unknown may be owner now.

6. zapoqx

zapoqx Striking Master

ya. The Live disk shows me whats in there and they are useless stuff. I thought I deleted it with a linux live disk, but apparently it just transferred them to a .ds.trash folder which since I'm not as proficient with linux, I assume its the linux version of a recycle bin.
    I don't know exactly how to take ownership back from one that is there already.
    Also, I'd say it had to be XP. The only other thing I could think of would be is if it was during my Vista days and all the issues it gave me with my video card and I had vista and XP dual booted.

And its the error where it says "You don't have permission to access this folder"