Random Problems. . .

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by pjchappy, Oct 20, 2003.

1. pjchappy

pjchappy OSNN Addict

Well,
    MY PC is starting to have random problems. . .again!

1st. . . a couple of days ago, I had to do a complete reinstall of XP and everything. . .from that point on, there is no 'Standby' option.

Today, I noticed that coming off of a screen saver, the PC goes to my user profile, where as before it would go to the screen where you can pick the different users.

Just now, I discovered my D:\ drive (a DVD-R) does not work w/ all disks. . .for instance, on the Drivers disk that came w/ my PC, the D:\ says: D:\ Not accessible. The request could not be performed b/c of an I/O device error.

I know this is all random stuff, but I'm afraid of what's to come next. I am going to try a System Restore, but if that doesn't help, anyone have ANY clues??

Thanks!

p

2. Arniestan1

Arniestan1 OSNN Addict

Might be the harddrive starting to fail. I own western digitals and they have an online diagnostics. You can run a check.

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

If you just reinstalled XP over the top of itself that could be the problem. Did you do a complete format or over the top?

4. pjchappy

pjchappy OSNN Addict

I had done a complete reformat. . .not a repair installation.

However, I broke down and just did a repair installation and it is ok now. . .I am just sick of random problems like this popping up.

Anyways, thanks!

p

5. grimman

grimman Guest

Well if you're "sick of it", don't use XP... =P
    The whole experience deal is for you to experience something new every time you use the computer... and it's hard to come up with positive things all the time. ;)

6. pjchappy

pjchappy OSNN Addict

I just love the people that claim they never have problems w/ XP. . .they must never turn on their PC then. :cool:

p

7. grimman

grimman Guest

Only problem I had with XP was when I had it installed.

8. Leevoy

Leevoy Guest

XP is mustard. I went from Millennium to XP. I ant going back.

9. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today