Random infinite reboot

G

G|ass

I have an AMD Athlon M4 Thunderbird Slot A 1.33 GHz processor, MSI MS-6380, VIA VT8366 Apollo KT266 CPU to PCI bridge, Micron 256MB DDR-SDRAM, VIA VT8233 PCI to ISA bridge, Windows XP Professional build 2600, and an nVidia GeForce 2 MX 200 video card. Before installing XP, this system worked just fine in Windows 98. Now, my XP system reboots infinitely, every time I boot up. Sometimes, I don't even have time to launch a program or access the start menu. Other times, I may be able to launch Internet Explorer, but then the machine stops responding completely, and just freezes for a few seconds. Then it reboots. It is a neverending process. I have tried completely removing the video card, flashed my BIOS to the latest version, installed the latest VIA 4 in 1, and got the latest video drivers from Windows Update and I still have the exact same problem. The only reason I am able to write this now is because I'm using an old Diamond Viper card I happened to have laying around. Might anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to remedy this problem? Thanks.

Go to Control Panel> System> 'advanced' tab> startup and recovery 'settings' button> untick 'Automatically restart' under system failure.

The next time you 'crash' you should get a blue screen with a 'stop' code and a device driver 'may' be named... give us that info (the stop code and driver). That will narrow the playing field WAY down.

I tried going into the BIOS and disabling the "1T DRAM Command Rate" option, then loaded up some old 21.83 Detonator XP drivers from nVidia and my system appears to be working fine now. I have unticked the "automatically restart" option just in case, but it would appear the problem is gone. I'll let ya know if it happens again. Many thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back