Ram Sinks!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Petros, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Would electrically conductive epoxy be thermally conductive as well? I'm just cheap and don't want to pay $13 plus $7 for shipping and handling when I already have electically conductive silver epoxy.

I'm attatching ram sinks to the memory on my video card, btw.

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

It could be, but it doesn't have to be. Ask the manufacturer.

3. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

hmm... well, you did say the magic word--silver. it's the most thermally conductive material, second only to diamond.

so if there is actually silver in it, then it would have to be somewhat effective and conducting heat. can't say anything for any of the other ingredients in it, though. does it list them?

4. Petros

Petros Thief IV

The only other ingredient is epoxy resin and hardener. Thanks for your help guys! You sure are swell. Time for some passive cooling...

5. Zedric

...and the ratio between those and silver is crucial. If it's just 1% silver it's probably not so good. If it's (stab in the dark) >25% silver, then it's probably good. But i suppose it's worth a try. :)

6. mbunny

mbunny Guest

Umm.... has anyone not noticed the magical word ELECTRICALLY CONDUCTIVE!!!!

If you get ANY of that epoxy onto the legs of the ram you'll totally screw up the Vid Card....

Spend $13 for the THERMALLY conductive and usually not electrically conductive. Arctic Silver doesn't conduct electricity but still contains silver.

Bare this in mind.... $13 or $200 for a new vid card?

7. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

If you have a radio shlock around check there for heatsink adhesive, SB less than $5, and no shipping if not...

Be very very careful applying the epoxy. Too much and it will be a heat insulator and you risk shorting the ram pins.

I can get ram heat sink kits around here for 5-6 bucks including sinks and adhesive. The super thin tape works very well.

Now the warning. Epoxy sucks under shear load which is what you will get from the mismatched TCE (temperature coefficient of expansion) between the ceramic ram package and the metal heat sink. The epoxy may fail over time and the heat sinks fall off causing damage to the vid card or PC.

8. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

is this true for arctic silver's adhesive? i got some recently for ramsinks, but haven't used it yet.

i would think they would have taken the sheer stress into mind when making it, though. so it should be good.

9. Zedric

No they must have thought of it. I don't think they'd dare sell it without a big warning sticker otherwise.