ram question

duked

OSNN Addict
just to make sure:

if i put 2x1gb sticks of ram as well as 2x256mb will it work at optimal speed? or will it just work @ 512?

currently have 1 x 1gb ram and 2x256 in my computer and i know my mobo doesn't support that config...so is it just working at 512 now? and if so that means i should just pop out those 256's and leave the 1gb?

ok let me see I understand your question.

You have installed a total of 1.5GB of ram, however your system only sees the 2 256MB sticks? and the max it sees is 512MB?

Do you know what the max size of a stick it will support in each slot?

What is the motherboard manufacturer? Also is it a AMD or Intel system?

However based on what is said I would pull the 1GB stick and store until you get a new system or something

The mobo is an ASRock 939 Dual SATA2, it has 2 dual channel slots (i hope i said that right) so there's 4 slots in total, 1 pair is black and the other blue. The motherboard holds a max of 4gb

my question was is my current setup (the 1.5gb) only really working at 512? because I know this mobo doesn't recognize 1 or 3 installed rams to work at dual speed

The manual for the MB says the 4 sticks have to be all the same size and type. The Asrock uLI chipset seems more finicky about this than nvidia chipsets.

New motherboards only support RAM is paired configurations, as LeeJend pointed out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back