RAM Memory

What does an "amazzing boon" look like, I've seen an ugly-assed baboon, is it something similar :D

Originally posted by dealer
here's the simple, practical in everybodys face proof.

just open your taskmanager.

now, open something huge...photoshop, anything.

look at your pf useage...at the same time, look at your ram useage...(use coolmon if you need to)

now, very simply , close the program.

you will notice, the exact amount of ram released is the exact amount of pf useage that goes down...it has an adress area for the entire working set of the programs you have launched

this is very simple

incorrect

Originally posted by mikill
incorrect

hardly, but I guess I should not have over simplified.

the working set of any program is easy to discern by monitoring your pagefile activity when you close a program down....this figure can actually be more then the figure for ram being used in any process..in other words, pagefile useage (potential useage) for even more then the ram then you are currently using...(and thus, all the reason more for the 1.5 figure)

here's the documentation, from the ms knowledge center;

..."If you are uncertain about the memory requirements of a process that you are running, you can note its working set in System Monitor, shut it down, and observe the corresponding effect on paging activity on your computer. The amount of memory freed by terminating programs is the amount of additional physical RAM needed on the system...."

and this is the very point, and mocrosft (THANX MICROSFT), makes it for me again;

there is pagefile activity for every bit of ram you Put into use, and then some, as this pagefile useage includes the entire working set of all of your processes.

obviously, there is sometimes even more pagefile activity then the amount of ram being used for the process, as working sets are often bigger then what's resident in ram, and that again is the very point...you should never have a pagefile smaller then the amount of ram you have installled

so, sorry for the oversimplification

Originally posted by wingman411
I have 512mb of ram, I set my pf on a data partition at min and max of 1.5mb.

First I set the pf to none, rebooted, then when I saw that there was no pf, I set it to 1.5mb on my data partition. (of course i defragged both my C: and D: partitions first.) Now I have one lg. green pf on my data partition. It should not be fragmented or am I wrong?

If it is one large PF then you're OK, btw if you don't set a pagefile XP will secretly create one behind your back, it will not be named pagefile.sys nor will it be in the root of the drive, it will hide it from you.

good pont j,

a paging file for the kernal alone, plus backup files for all of your processes take over paging responsibility, since nobody has enough ram to actually run xp without virtual memory

for anyone who wants to prove to themselfs that there is paging, regardless of whether or not there is a pagefle, there is an easy experiment

for this to be easily proven, all you need to do after you eliminate your pagfile is to minimize internet explorer, or anyhting large.

what xp does, as a tool, is it will agressively release working sets on anything that you minimze.

this gives the user control over excactly what is written to disc, when a user wants to take control...(if you want the program to keep it's working set, simply open window over window, if you want the ram more available to other processes, simply minimize)...and again, you can watch this happen in taskmanager.

now, with that window minimized, go about your work for a half hour or so...(actually, much less, but we'll make the point with a half hour)

after the half hour is up, remaximize that window that has been minimized

you will be able to watch xp page the window back into ram, with or without a pagefile:)

Jumping into the fray

Ok, I'm not very big into the video editing scene, but I've got to fix some peoples crazed Idea that a Rendering program will use the WINDOWS page file LOL. That's quite humorous. Back when I had 512Mb of RAM and a Pagefile using Defaults it never used more then 600Mb's of the Pagefile for Adobe Premiere 6.0 re-rendering a movie (changing formats) took 6 hrs though. Anyway FYI most GRAPHIC/AUDIO programs have their own form of Pagefile, this includes Premiere, Photo Shop, Acid, etc. these programs create their own page files that increase their preformance. The reason even got XP to use 600mb was I opened Execell, Word, Access, Primere, and Photoshop to check my max PF usage. I hardly ever have more then one open though I do have Dual Processors so that could affect the experiment. I now have 1Gb of ram and have my PF set to 850 on a FAT16 partition of my RAID 0 7200rpm ATA100 drives. And I hardly use 372Mb's of that, but the extra is Just In Case, after all I love XP running seamlessly w/o errors etc.

you are correct

most people will not access all of their pagefile for some time to come.

for people like yourself, that have an abundance of ram that you are not putting to use, and don't expect to put your ram under pressure anytime soon, (you must be correct in this assumption btw, and who can possibly know this?)

and for people like yourself that want to feel pro active

and for people that think they are gaining something of benefit by taking a gig or so of hardrive space "and not wasting it".(though you are wasting it more by doing this)

and for people that want to keep watching their pagefile useage to make sure they are not taking a performance hit

and for people that want to do all of these things at absolutely no gain

I invite all of these people to go ahead and have some fun, (it is your box after all)

but for those people that want their os to be set up to run as efficiently as possible for now, and for the future

and to not have to worry about things so mundane as "saving unused hardrive space so it can hang around and do nothing"

for these people, do not lower the default settings of your pagefile

so, in the end, we do agree after all.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back